Incognito Rockhound

All,  

I went fossil hunting at a new site a little north of downtown Nashville and hit paydirt with these large pieces of rock; they are absolutely packed full of rugose coral :)

99B6FF09-535A-4A9E-9744-91CC46708FF2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

There are two rocks -  each one weighs between 40 and 50 pounds.   I would like to display them in my office, but they are obviously too heavy to put on a shelf.   It would be a shame not to display them, so I am trying to figure out what I can you do so they aren’t a crushing risk to everything and everyone around them :hearty-laugh:

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Small sturdy end table? Doorstop? :)

End table? :hearty-laugh:

3 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Cool find....but how did you lift it? :D You could put it outside the office in there landscaping.

I have a really thick tarp-like blanket.  I rolled each rock onto it,  and dragged it over to the car one at a time. 

Let’s just say that I rediscovered a few muscles that I forgot I had ;)

On 2/13/2019 at 9:40 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Are you attempting to clean them?

Franz Bernhard

I would like to eventually clean them; unfortunately, work is tying up a majority of time right now.

Until then, I am going to start reading up on cleaning techniques.  Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Incognito Rockhound said:

Any suggestions?

Yes, as a first step use a very, very soft brush (a soft tooth brush may be already to hard, there could be delicate structures) and plenty of water.

Please show as the result, thanks!
Franz Bernhard

20 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yes, as a first step use a very, very soft brush (a soft tooth brush may be already to hard, there could be delicate structures) and plenty of water.

Please show as the result, thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Will do - thank you!

4 hours ago, Incognito Rockhound said:

Will do

As you are living on a tight time budged, there is another, in some way time-saving possibility:

Leave it outside in the rain for several weeks. Heavy rain removes loose dirt quite effectively yet very cautiously.

Franz Bernhard