Possible Palmoxylon Mohavensis or something else

Kato

Okay, I finally unpacked some boxes a couple of weeks with the intent of finally getting this officially named. I believe it is Palmoxylon Mohavensis and I believe from the Miocene. Found in the Mojave Desert in California, north and east of Red Rock Canyon and north and west of Last Chance Canyon about 40 years ago.

Size of overall specimen is approximately 4" x 5" x 6"

In addition to not knowing the true identity, I think this is also down by the roots? 

Starting with the end that has been cut and somewhat polished. Graining is confused leading me to think root end of tree??

image.thumb.png.f285f60a35699e22b4da32c5f65ce6d9.png

Opposite end

image.thumb.png.edb730fa6c34b0f222485a525ce01979.png

Maybe something similar to both of them ( Palmoxylon and Rhizopalmoxylon), but I'm not well versed in fossil plants. :)

link

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

41 minutes ago, Kato said:

Graining is confused leading me to think root end of tree

I think you have it in a confused kind of way. I think the outside layers of the trunk were essentially a mass of roots. 

37 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe something similar to both of them ( Palmoxylon and Rhizopalmoxylon), but I'm not well versed in fossil plants. :)

link

Between this and what @Rockwood said it got me to thinking 'how similar are modern palms'?  A little searching and I found the diagram below. It appears the palm roots did not spread either far or wide but the bases were basically pot shaped. To me, very interesting, palm trees can make basal offshoots and high offshoots per this diagram. Not that I've seen a lot of palms but I did not know that factoid.

Given the odd, not pot shaped, form of this specimen, I begin to wonder if either basal or high offshoots are a possibility and could the 'roots' possibly be where leaves actually emerged from?

Architecture: Palm Tree Roots How Deep Do Grow Quora With Regard To 0 from Palm Tree Roots

• I found this Informative 2