Florida Double Armadillo or Turtle Osteoderm?

Bronzviking

I found this worn bone fragment on Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. It's about 2 3/8" x 1 1/4". After looking at it, it has a home plate shape similar to armadillo and turtle scutes. It appears to have a plate on the front and back, possibly the plastron and carapace of a turtle? (I have 6 views)

DSC081461.jpg

DSC081471.jpg

DSC081481.jpg

DSC081431.jpg

DSC081441.jpg

DSC081451.jpg

13 minutes ago, ynot said:

It is a fragment of a large flat bone showing marrow in the center and the two opposite sides of the outer part

I think that describes a turtle doesn't it ? The texture and contour on one side look right to me at least. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, the flatness of it and the groove near the top of the second picture suggest turtle to me. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, the flatness of it and the groove near the top of the second picture suggest turtle to me. 

Good eye! I forgot to point out the grooved line in the 3rd and 4th photo.

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

It appears to be a rectangle off center on the back side. Do you think there are 2 scutes stuck together? (See photos 1, 2 and 5) Thanks!

3 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

It appears to be a rectangle off center on the back side. Do you think there are 2 scutes stuck together? (See photos 1, 2 and 5) Thanks!

There are NO scutes, since these don't preserve as fossils.  I think this fragment of bone is most likely from a giant tortoise (Hesperotestudo sp.) rather than from a turtle.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

14 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

There are NO scutes, since these don't preserve as fossils.  I think this fragment of bone is most likely from a giant tortoise (Hesperotestudo sp.) rather than from a turtle.

That's really exciting, thanks Harry! I almost threw this bone back. Was there any characteristics that stood out that led you to giant tortoise? I can't find too many fossil photos. Is this a rare find?

14 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I saw your photos and was thinking the same thing as Harry...its the thickness/dimension that caught my eye and the internal structure is similar to a tortoise piece I have...flattened top and botton with parallel layered looking bone mixed with porous looking areas, but I'm certainly not a turtle/tortoise expert...and dont know what a cross section of a large turtle fragment would look like or it differs substantially. I wonder if anyone has ever sectioned the different shell elements to see how they vary in structure if at all...ok Im admittedly crazy with wondering about that kind of stuff? LOL at myself! I need to go get the oil changed in my car and do some chores/stop looking at fossils!!! Later you all...

5c66f86a0d89b_Tortoiseshelltextures.thumb.jpg.d8c4cbdf5528cf29a249c19203145024.jpg

Regards, Chris