The Amateur Paleontologist

Hey everyone :) 

I recently heard about a paper on the definition of "Lagerstätte" (see attached); and it did raise an interesting question - "Can a trace fossil site be called a Lagerstätte?"

What do you guys think about this?

-Christian

On_the_definition_of_Lagerstatte.pdf

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Not soft tissue soooo no? I have found trace fossils in places without (particularly) spectacular preservation.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not really sure if this is about the definition of the German word "Lagerstätte".

But as a native speaker, for me this is the correct definition:

"Lagerstätte" is a term from applied geology and mining for certain areas of the earth's crust, for the mining of raw materials, for the dismantling of buildings or for the future could be worthwhile (usable "Lagerstätte"). Natural accumulations of usable ores, minerals and rocks whose mining is uneconomical are called "Vorkommen".

Lagerstätte is used in context with fossils as an area with a lot of fossils.

So I would say yes. A lot of trace fossils can also be called Lagerstätte.

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Not soft tissue soooo no? I have found trace fossils in places without (particularly) spectacular preservation.

True, but what if the trace fossils themselves are well-preserved, though?...

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I would argue that it would be a Lagerstätten. 

“The quality of preservation, especially of small tracks of types not previously reported from the Cretaceous as well as a large number of excavated specimens still under investigation, mark the Jinju Formation is an example of a Konservat-Lagerstätten defined as a deposit in which body fossil and/or trace fossils show exceptionally good preservation” from https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-38633-4.pdf

s41598-019-38633-4.pdf

s41598-019-38633-4.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

The term "Fossil Lagerstätten" was (as far as I rember) first used by Dolf Seilacher in 1985, he applies the term from the sector of exploration geology to fossil occurences. He differentiate (roughly spoken) between "Konservat-Lagerstätten" and "Konzentrat-Lagerstätten". First ones are the famous ones with their exceptional preservation, like Orsten and Amber. Second ones are defined by mass occurence of fossils, not mandatory by their good preservation. So every middle scaled lumachelle layer can be called "Konzentrat-Lagerstätte".

In terms of trace fossils I would avoid the term "Fossil-Lagerstätte", because they are more sediment structures than body fossils. There are some colleagues (esp. ichnologists) with a different opinion, but even in their circles (from my personal experience) this term is not generally used for trace fossil rich strata.