Rayminazzi

I'll post a full story in trips when I get time, but I was searching around a new spot, being unsure of the formation (Austin I assume now) I was picking up everything I found including oysters which I would normally leave, I assume they're exogyra or ilymatogyra but the Mark on the back is strange to me, 2 of the three I picked up had them and I haven't seen anything like it in pictures. Species and out formation ID would be nice

IMG_20190210_211912.jpg

IMG_20190210_211940.jpg

IMG_20190210_211950.jpg

IMG_20190210_212057.jpg

To my knowledge Ilymotogyra are found in the Washita Group, in particular they are an index fossil for the Grayson I believe. I have never seen them in the Austin Chalk.

The Austin Chalk is a bit younger and quite different. The Austin is all in the upper Cretaceous and in the Gulf series while the Washita is in the Comanche series, mostly in the lower Cretaceous. 

I could be wrong, but that looks like Duck Creek to Kiamichi material. I have seen little bivalves that look similar to those in a couple of places, Tarrant County and Grayson County, both Duck Creek. I don’t know what they’re called though. Were there any Waconella wacoensis present?

I don’t know if you have this chart for Texas, but I find it helpful at times.

C55724FA-1130-43D9-83C2-1C03E7BD9D0F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I didn't find any waconella brachiopods, the area was faulted heavily but not far away was what I identify as the contact between the Austin and pecan gap chalk, I've only seen this type of fossilization in this contact zone but I still have lots to learn.

IMG_20190210_233127.jpg

IMG_20190210_233130.jpg

IMG_20190210_233141.jpg

I might as well throw these in here, again this area is heavily faulted so this could be a different formation, this was about 200 yards away

Screenshot_20190210-234052.png

Screenshot_20190210-234441~2.png

I know exactly where you are hunting. It is slow to weather, but years ago I took a number of echinoids there of at least 4 genera.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

26 minutes ago, Rayminazzi said:

I figured you might, do you know what formation it is on the more northern end?

I think it’s Austin, with several lithologies represented along with a couple oyster beds, maybe Exogyra (laeviculum or spelled similarly) and some species of Gryphea, if not mistaken.  You’ll see some xenomorphs in the oyster reefs.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."