Building the Dinosaur Program- Bull Canyon and the maybe Triassic Dinos

fossilsonwheels

On to the Dinos. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I found some helpful information here about the Triassic fossil material from Bull Canyon before we started collecting the fossils so I knew going in that some of the dinosaur stuff may not be dinosaur at all or at least it may not be the dinosaur that they are sold as. The fossils are educational so we will present them as we purchased them while noting the uncertainty in documenting our collection. We want to do what we do with the sharks and start our programs as far back in the evolutionary line as we can get. Bull Canyon gives us possible dinosaur fossils that represent very early dinosaurs. The kids will likely not know much about early dinosaurs so these fossils are important in giving us that bridge.

We bought three very small, and inexpensive, "Coelophysis" teeth. One of them looks that it could be a dinosaur tooth while the other two are probably not. I found a great piece by Troodon here that outlined what to look for in Bull Canyon teeth and using his profile of what to look for from a dinosaur tooth from Bull Canyon, I contacted the dealer I bought them from. He is going to find us one that fits that profile so I feel good that we will have one or two Triassic Theropod teeth. If they are actually Coelophysis or not is not a concern. That is the species we are presenting to the kids because they are such a well known early dinosaur. The kids can learn more about them on their own and they may get really interested in early dinosaurs if we can connect them to one. It gives a an opportunity to touch on basic theropod biology and get into evolution.

We also got a small and inexpensive "Prosauropod" tooth. I did know before buying it that no diagnostic prosauropod fossils had been found in Bull Canyon. I can accept that this one is unlikely to be prosauropod but we are still going to present it as one because the kids will really enjoy hearing about the forerunners of the very well known Long necks. I do not have all the science info set for this part of the presentation. I am still learning about early dinosaurs.

I do not think we will be able to add much to this part of the dinosaur program. There does not seem to be a lot of fossil material available so i think this will have to be enough.

Pic 1 our tiny collection of tiny Triassic "dinosaur" teeth.

20190211_015201.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

This looks like a really interesting program!!

A thread by fellow TFF member @Troodon would contain some rather good information for your program :) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

This looks like a really interesting program!!

A thread by fellow TFF member @Troodon would contain some rather good information for your program :) 

-Christian

Thank you Christian. I did look at that one several times. I think Troodon has done more than one very informative posts about Bull Canyon. A significant portion of my knowledge has come from those super informative posts. I have yet to actually communicate with him here but he has had a huge impact on our dino program already.

I actually like that I have to hunt for a real dino tooth among these micro teeth lol It is a good skill building exercise.