A Few Unknowns

Kane

A friend of mine who runs a rock shop acquired a large batch of fossils and other items, and asked if I could help ID them. I've been able to identify most of them, but there are a few I'm unsure about. At least one of them seems to be a non-fossil geologic item. Some of these were acquired without provenance details. I'm sure my friend would be content to have it down to the genus level, if possible. 

20190209_113040.jpg

20190209_113455.jpg

20190209_113426.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That first one looks kind of like a glob of meringue, lightly browned. And now I'm hungry.. :doh!:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Second one is a group photo of several irregular echinoids (Sea urchins) and the third picture is some kind of gastropod :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

The first one looks like banded chert.

959e2e293ef5c4de58f4eb6a2ea4aef1.jpg.62aca1f119f64dd17eda793bcd85fe00.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Second one is a group photo of several irregular echinoids (Sea urchins) and the third picture is some kind of gastropod :)

-Christian

I probably should have mentioned that I knew about the gastro and the echies (in the tags), but am holding out hope for a bit more info to the genus level despite the lack of provenance details. The lot contained a lot of commonly found/sold pieces (spinosaurus tooth, Devonian corals, some Pliocene barnacles from Virginia). 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

The first one looks like banded chert.

Much obliged! -- And, in this case, the owner won't be unhappy to hear that as most of their stock are crystals/minerals. 

26 minutes ago, Kane said:

I knew about the gastro and the echies (in the tags

Sorry.. Should have known :blush:

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

the first one looks like grand canyon pine bark lol. Can't tell if mineral or fossil. Looks a bit random and none symmetrical  to be a fossil

pine-tree-trunk-bark-detail-grand-canyon-arizona-usa-35468925.jpg

11 hours ago, Kane said:

A friend of mine who runs a rock shop acquired a large batch of fossils and other items, and asked if I could help ID them. I've been able to identify most of them, but there are a few I'm unsure about. At least one of them seems to be a non-fossil geologic item. Some of these were acquired without provenance details. I'm sure my friend would be content to have it down to the genus level, if possible.

20190209_113426.jpg

Check out Ampullina for that gastropod. They range from the Triassic to the Pliocene, so it's probably difficult to determine the provenance, although they were quite pronounced during the Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Just a follow-up on this thread. I'm extending thanks from my friend who very much appreciated the IDs you've helpfully provided. There were a host of other specimens to identify, and we worked through the lot today. So my thanks for the assist on the pieces I was less clear about. :) :dinothumb: