On 12/17/2020 at 4:40 PM, Thomas.Dodson said:

I enjoy seeing beekite fossils so I'll give this thread a little bump and see if anyone wants to contribute more beekite. This is a Triplophyllum dalei I collected this summer from the old Meramec Bridge site in Fenton, Missouri. Warsaw Formation, Mississippian. I like this specimen because of all the different stages of beekite and the color variations.

Nice example! I’ve already contributed to the thread, but like you, I also enjoy beekite. I might be able to scrounge up a few more specimens to add. Off I go to dig through the collection.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Bee kite is the main reason I bother with the brachiopods around here- acid wash and a bit of mineral oil and...

03192EC6-ECB5-42B4-B65D-832F56C968FB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

On 17.12.2020 at 11:40 PM, Thomas.Dodson said:

I enjoy seeing beekite fossils so I'll give this thread a little bump and see if anyone wants to contribute more beekite. This is a Triplophyllum dalei I collected this summer from the old Meramec Bridge site in Fenton, Missouri. Warsaw Formation, Mississippian. I like this specimen because of all the different stages of beekite and the color variations.

beeki.png.1c57889cf965bb78884263950b281312.png

bee.png.6e6a5acd860dc2aa8dae9d061e15a711.png

beeeee.png.c548147f28b1e0f3bd8d7f73a2465ae9.png

beeek.png.701d6731dc7f8a279e1fe975f5af7476.png

beekit.png.3528b38aac71ba3f0c60dd292af16334.png

Beautiful ! 

Thank you for posting here!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@abyssunder

Could you recommend a source that I can read to learn about the chemical process in which beekite rings form?  And I didn't realize that beekite didn't have to occur in rings - very interesting!  Thanks,  -DebPG

1 hour ago, DebPG said:

@abyssunder

Could you recommend a source that I can read to learn about the chemical process in which beekite rings form?  

Look at references at Mindat.

https://www.mindat.org/min-600.html

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Beekite-on-carbonate-clasts-A-B-upper-surfaces-of-beekite-encrusted-clasts-C-lower_fig1_240656187

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beekite

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.