Rowboater

Has been about 38 F (~4 C) or less since Sat morning and I was getting cabin fever.  The tides are running high for the beaches, east wind blowing in the water.  So I decided to go to the creek in pouring cold rain (45F, 7C); the creek was icy cold.  Was probably stupid, it was difficult to work some new spots in water high over my ankles and both waterproof shoes eventually filled with water.  Both quality and quantity of teeth were low.  However I was lucky and found TWO nice cow shark teeth (without roots), a small mako (no serrations) along with the usual sand shark spikes and some small gray shark teeth.  No angel shark and few drum teeth? Hopefully will turn up when the water quiets down.

021319.thumb.jpg.f5b6c4246a5527868f9dc4e7e20c258a.jpg021319-2.jpg.af2b0b351f704dc6d7c8cf7f35e278a0.jpg

Nice finds! Shame the cowsharks are missing the roots.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice variety! :) 

Jealous of anyone getting out to hunt now.   :envy:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds! Shame the cowsharks are missing the roots.

Yeah, most I find are either broken  and if they have intact root, the blade tips are blunted. Cow shark teeth are the most fragile teeth almost like shells (I usually only bother with ecphora but got bored on a recent trip, just need to scan them.)

30 minutes ago, Rowboater said:

Yeah, most I find are either broken  and if they have intact root, the blade tips are blunted. Cow shark teeth are the most fragile teeth almost like shells (I usually only bother with ecphora but got bored on a recent trip, just need to scan them.)

I have been lucky to find decent cowsharks over the years. Though at first I kept finding broken ones. It took me a while before I found any complete. Once I did, it seemed like I was on a roll and I started finding atleast one nice one every trip. I saw one lucky hunter, many years ago find a huge pristine one at Brownies Beach. It was twice the size of any cowshark I have ever seen. About 2 inches long by 1inch high. The same hunter had also found the nicest Squaladon tooth i had ever seen from there as well. That was his lucky day for sure. Wish it was me Lol!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I have been lucky to find decent cowsharks over the years. Though at first I kept finding broken ones. It took me a while before I found any complete. Once I did, it seemed like I was on a roll and I started finding atleast one nice one every trip. I saw one lucky hunter, many years ago find a huge pristine one at Brownies Beach. It was twice the size of any cowshark I have ever seen. About 2 inches long by 1inch high. The same hunter had also found the nicest Squaladon tooth i had ever seen from there as well. That was his lucky day for sure. Wish it was me Lol!

Cow shark teeth are my favorites and a trip seems incomplete without at least a broken one.  A few years ago I found a symphyseal which, though without a root, was nicer than any I have seen, gave to a friend in Singapore (they don't have fossils or shark teeth on that island!)  Didn't realize they were so rare, hoping for another!