Hadrosaur egg - legitimate?

carlthebarbarian

Hi everyone,

I am interested in picking up a hadrosaur egg as a gift to my wife, who is a dinosaur enthusiast. However, I'm worried about picking up a fake. I have found a couple of online listings, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback. As far as I can tell, one of the sellers is from a long-established group in the fossil community but I would like to double check this with someone through private messages.

Attached are the photos. The ones with a light blue background are from the first seller (hence Seller_1), and the others are from another (Seller_2). 

Hadrosaur_Seller_1_3.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller1_1.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller1_2.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller1_4.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller1_5.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller_2_4.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller_2_1.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller_2_2.jpg

Hadrosaur_Seller_2_3.jpg

Hi all! Thanks for the quick responses. Based on some of the positive feedback and  more digging about a seller, I made a purchase for a double egg from one of the sellers.  I expect it's legit but just wanted to double check in for any red flags just in case. 

Hadrosaur_Double5.jpg

Hadrosaur_Double1.jpg

Hadrosaur_Double2.jpg

Hadrosaur_Double3.jpg

Hadrosaur_Double4.jpg

Looks like some nice specimens. I know nothing about the validity of dino eggs but I do learn a bit about fakes from more knowledgeable members here on the forum. Always nice to see authentic items and learn about what makes fakes fakes. Just remember when discussing the legitimacy of fossils of this type to keep the conversation restricted to the authenticity of the specimen for sale and don't let the conversation stray to negative public comments about any particular identifiable seller. It opens the forum up to potential liability which we certainly don't need. If someone recognizes a seller that they've had questionable dealings with in the past and wants to inform a member asking questions about recent offerings from that seller, please take any informative input offline using personal messages. That way we can pass on experience and possible cautions without opening up TFF to possible litigation--the best solution for all. ;)

Dino eggs are cool items and if I were into buying fossils, I'd likely be in the market for one. Hope you have an enjoyable and rewarding transaction.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

49 minutes ago, digit said:

Just remember when discussing the legitimacy of fossils of this type to keep the conversation restricted to the authenticity of the specimen for sale and don't let the conversation stray to negative public comments about any particular identifiable seller. It opens the forum up to potential liability which we certainly don't need. If someone recognizes a seller that they've had questionable dealings with in the past and wants to inform a member asking questions about recent offerings from that seller, please take any informative input offline using personal messages. That way we can pass on experience and possible cautions without opening up TFF to possible litigation--the best solution for all. ;)

-Ken

I would include ANY discussion of identifiable sellers. Positive or negative. This should be all about the fossils, not the dealers. 

Please keep talk of dealers in the PM system. 
Thanks for your cooperation.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, digit said:

Dino eggs are cool items and if I were into buying fossils, I'd likely be in the market for one.

Then you'll just have to go out and find one of your own Ken. 

Of course you might have to become a Chinese construction worker to stumble upon them easier though. :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

That would seem to be the most direct way to come into possession of one of these. :)

I'll just stick to gawking at nice nests of eggs in museum exhibits.

Cheers.

-Ken

It is a very nice pair of eggs, and you are such a good husband.  I am sure your wife would be very excited to receive this nice gift.

Good purchase. They are very real.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!