Pliocene, Pleistocene Caloosahatchee Formation

dalmayshun

I have gotten cabin fever recently.... those of us in Florida can get it, even though we dont have snow and ice piled up outside our houses. Mine exists because the Peace river remains well about the fossil hunting stage. A few weeks ago, I went out on the Caloosahatchee and found some nice pieces, but I have been longing to get out. So I decide this week to drive out towards the middle of the state, just slightly below Lake Okeechobee. (Boy I wish I could go through the spoil banks  from all the construction going on on the south edge of the lake where the corps of engineers is reinforcing, rebuiilding the old dike.) That being prohibited, and since i didn't want to be fined, I decided to head out to a pile of lower to mid Caloosahatchee formation material that was dug a couple of years ago. When it was first left, I looked through it, and found some nice things, now after a couple of years of weathering, I thought perhaps I'd be in luck and find something new had rolled out. Since the drive is a good hour from where I live, I was also hoping they wouldn't have flattened the pile using it for fill in agricultural roads in the area. My cabin fever pushed me to try. after all the area is beautiful and I often see rare birds out there. On that trip two years ago, I saw a Scissor tailed Flycatcher ( photo # 1) This year I saw a pair of Everglades Kites..no photos, sorry, they flew up and in front of me while driving my car. Also, no photo of the Florida Panther that crossed in front of my car as i was returning home in the evening. After all that, my fossils are quite the denouement. They are not extraordinary, but I still decided to put them into a riker box and label them. Some of names may be updated from the ones I used, but for I.D. purposes I used Lelia & William Brayfields paperback , 3rd edition of "A Guide for Identifying Florida Fossil Shells and other Invertebrates." I also checked them against the Forida Invertebrate I.D. collection site.http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/ip/?filter=oc:florida molluscabivalvia. So while I didn't end up with anything earthshaking, I was happy. I did find my first disciformis, (and the only one I"ve seen in person). And I learned alot about Anadara's as I tried to identify the species of this Genus from the family Arcidae. The various species are abundant in Florida and have always flumixed me...now I'll be able to identify at least 3 or 4 of them in the field. So while, I wasn't able to get out in my Kayak, and enjoy the hunt, the adventure will hold me till I head up to the Crystal River area in two weeks to hunt with a friend. 20190208_134719-picsay.thumb.jpg.23750e6eed8cb47b65cd44204fa740e2.jpg

di st 10.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Nice report and finds!

Glad you were able to shake that cabin fever! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Love the display with all the molluscs, very nice.:)

I'm very fond of scaphopods so it's nice to see one of them every now and again.

And the Scissor-tailed flycatcher, beautiful.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Very nice! Some nice wildlife sightings and a great Riker full of Florida Caloosahatchee goodness. Glad you've found somewhere to go to get out and fossil hunt. This season is usually South Florida's time to shine on the forum but we've been unnaturally quiet.

We may not be not be dealing with the recent Snowpocalypse or Polar Vortex, but unseasonable rains in our supposed dry season are definitely creating a Florida-style version of cabin fever. I'm glad I still have a supply of various collections of micro-matrix to keep me busy or I'd be going stir crazy. Recent pickings from some Florida micro-matrix turned up a nice little oddity--a Manta (now Mobula) tooth. Since manta rays have evolved into filter-feeding planktivores, their teeth are really just vestigial at this point. Forum member (and expert in chondrichthyan micro-fossils) @Al Dente clued me into this search image last year and I'm quite chuffed whenever I find one of these wonderful little (really little) oddities.

Manta(Mobula).jpg

Till the rains stop and the water levels drop I feel like the South Florida TFF members who hunt the waterways are like a bunch of racehorses all nervously lined up for a race and someone forgot to bring the starter's pistol. :blink::(

:fingerscrossed:

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

Gorgeous finds!!! :drool::wub: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Yep, Excellent finds!! Yeah! That 2nd Chione top row makes me think of Lirophora that I thought I have from the Tamiami but I've never sorted thru what I thought were different forms from that formation/age...I wonder if they are diff/synonyms...another research project I suppose...dang these shells..I'll never get thru them all..LOL. 

Thanks for showing the latest! congrats!

Regards, Chris 

• 1 year later...

I loved this post. Very encouraging. I live in Miami (Palmetto Bay) and am in a constant state of cabin fever. I have a flexible schedule that allows me to drive a few hours and have a look around and a truck to take my kayak. Driving to the Peace is more of a weekend trip but some of the places you mentioned certainly sound doable. These are my resources (and this amazing site) is there anywhere else I can look for hunting spots?  Again, great post. 

57C860F1-F9CB-4D27-9C43-5C60A2BB904F.jpeg

You've got a good library of Florida books (all of them among my collection). ;)

There are lots of places that have fossil shell material (including my backyard). :) The Peace River (and associated creeks in the general area) are the main source for vertebrate fossils and shark teeth. Folks who live on the left coast of Florida have the opportunity to try to talk to the foremen at construction sites in the area to see if they can sweet talk themselves into getting permission to poke around the water retention ponds that they dig in new housing developments. There is also snorkeling (or diving) off the greater Venice area as an alternative.

There are other sites of interest in northern Florida but most of those are out of reach of us down at the dangly end of the peninsula. If you are looking for a very different experience which guarantees lots of interesting fossils you can check into the volunteer digs with the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) up in the Gainesville area. You don't get to keep any of the fossils but you can take loads of photos and your finds go to the FLMNH collection. We make the long drive up there a couple of times a year to volunteer for a few days at a time. In fact, we'll soon be moving to Gainesville so we can volunteer more with the museum. :D

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/montbrook/dig-schedule/

Cheers.

-Ken

Oh my. Sorry, I’m kinda fan girl geeking out over your response. 

Ok I’m somewhat composed. I will check the link and look into the schedule. I hope to see you on a dig. I’m probably easy to pick out- I have what my kids call “dog going for a walk tail wag” look (I do get excited when I know digging/discovering/learning happening).  I also ask a lot of questions - BUT the good news is I can be quiet for long periods of time. I’m usually just thinking of more questions. ;) 

Take care. 

Jen