fossil_sea_urchin

The seller claims this is a 9 inch einosaurus metatarsal from the two medicine formation. He claims it is one of a kind and very rare. Is he right?

einosaurmetatarsal_004.jpg

einosaurmetatarsal_002.jpg

einosaurmetatarsal_003.jpg

einosaurmetatarsal_005.jpg

It's highly unlikely that anyone could say that this was from an einiosaur unless it was found with a good portion of the skeleton that would almost have to include the head, or from the only known Einiosaurus bonebeds in MT from which all the known specimens, now housed at the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, reside.

That would in turn imply that this bone was poached from the site, stolen from the collections, or otherwise separated from a skeleton. None of these scenarios is very likely. What is much more likely is that the seller really wants to sell this bone and will call it whatever he has to call it to get that done. Caveat emptor.

• I found this Informative 5

My friend collected on a einiosaur bone bed in Montana and like Carl said its the only way you will be able to assign it to one.  Ceratopsian material from the Two Medicine is quite rare.

Troodon collection has some Einio material but states it came from a bonebed.

• I found this Informative 2

There are at least two Ceratopsians present in the Two Medicine formatio,  Einiosaurus procurvicornis and Achelousaurus horneri. I don't know how to tell specific bones apart.

Here is a drawning of a Centrosaurus foot. I know it's an other animal from a different location, but it might help to determine if this is indeed a Ceratopsian metatarsal.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor triceratops metatarsal

It is actually extremely difficult to say from this isolated fossil unfortunately...it could be one but you are not going to be able to establish an ID from this.

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Not meaning to be the sarcastic one here ( actually I am! ) but if it is "one of a kind", what could the seller possibly compare it to for an identification?  Just saying!

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Not meaning to be the sarcastic one here ( actually I am! ) but if it is "one of a kind", what could the seller possibly compare it to for an identification?  Just saying!

Not to mention being found "in a bone bed of 3 individuals". But in a way I guess it IS one of a kind. That one is the only one of it's kind, being just that bone, with just that length, just that width, color & so on. It's completely unique... just like every other bone. You can be sarcastic. :muahaha:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I suppose it could be completely unique in the sense that if this element has never been found before for an Einiosaurus it would be known as such by comparison with other more completely-known, closely-related ceratopsians, of which there are many. That said, it's almost certainly not true in this case. Too many red flags.

49 minutes ago, Carl said:

I suppose it could be completely unique in the sense that if this element has never been found before for an Einiosaurus

In a circular sort of way it could make the claim harder to disprove.

Mind you in this context circular equals useless. 

Einiosaurus bone beds are not uncommon in the Two Med Fm.  Attached paper talks about them, one Canyon Bone Bed contained "approximately 300 bones and bone fragments but only two skulls, and represents a  MNI of seven specimens of  Einiosaurus  (six subadults and one juvenile)".  Guess none of those bones were Tarsals :D  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://scholarworks.montana.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1/2118/ReiznerJ0810.pdf%3Fsequence%3D1%26isAllowed%3Dy&ved=2ahUKEwieqIeryrvgAhUFG3wKHVkyAmEQFjARegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3QyhUj8fPxtnMquBDVS9BV&cshid=1550159619738

2 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Guess none of those bones were Tarsals :D

4 hours ago, Carl said:

I suppose it could

The sort of thing that discourages speculation. :(

Howdy, @fossil_sea_urchin if it did come from a bonebed with skull material present, then perhaps the bone could be narrowed down to Einiosaurus. Everything @Carl said is spot on and I can only add a little. Am fairly sure there is Einiosaurus metatarsal material at MOR, but can double check next time I am in collections. There is at least one undescribed ceratopsian in the Two Med so as already stated, IDs to the genus level require key skull material associated.