Is nuthetes from France or England?

Pterygotus

I saw this nuthetes destructor tooth for sale from England. I thought it was incredibly rare until I saw some from France. My book tells me only pieces of jaw bone and isolated teeth have been found. My book also tells me that they are found in southern England. Is my book out of date or are the French ones not actually nuthetes destructor? Or is it just the English ones that are rare? 

• I found this Informative 1

The holotype is from the Lulworth formation in England. Nuthetes is a Dromaeosaurid so I hope that tooth has Dromaeosaurid morphology. It's not sure the French ones are actually Nuthetes sp.

This is the holotype:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor nuthetes holotype 

• I found this Informative 3

2 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

The holotype is from the Lulworth formation in England. Nuthetes is a Dromaeosaurid so I hope that tooth has Dromaeosaurid morphology. It's not sure the French ones are actually Nuthetes sp. 

Does that mean nuthetes destructor is incredibly rare, even a 3mm tooth?

2 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Does that mean nuthetes destructor is incredibly rare, even a 3mm tooth?

You need to very its a Dromaeosaurid through a serration count

I know and trust that the seller knows what to look for when IDing however you still need to request for serration count in order to verify this for yourself! Even then it is a very tiny tooth so it will be difficult to ID.  The publication is quite helpful to assist you along the way. Refer to the link above: Theropod tooth measurements and denticle counts

• I found this Informative 2

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Just on the surface the serrations density looks the same on both carina so that would argue against it being a Dromaeosaurid.  He needs to do a count however.  I also would add that these teeth being a Dromaeosaurid  should to be recurved, again dont see that.   Please dont trust anyones ID on these rare teeth validate it yourself.

• I found this Informative 2

I'm aware that teeth of Nuthetes-like velociraptorines have been found in the Cretaceous of south-east France...

A friend of mine showed me two he had, and they did correspond with the morphology of British Nuthetes teeth..

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

The tooth is from the Wealden group and not the Lulworth Formation which Nuthetus is from.  It is possible they could be from the same formation (close in age and location) but is not described from there.  Keep that in mind.  It is a theropod tooth for sure but believe that is the furthest you can go with ID with information at the moment.