Randomguy1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:54 PM, Archie said:

As its missing both ends its harder to tell if there was a root at one end and a crown at the other but those ridges really remind me of the dentine folds on the lingual surface of some petalodonts such as Janassa

On 2/19/2019 at 9:27 AM, Carl said:

And here's a cast Janassa from our collections.

FF 8444 Janassa.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, FossilDAWG said:

@Carl may have an idea, or he may be able to run it past Dr. Maisey who is a leading authority on Paleozoic fish.

Don

Thanks guys for the help! It’s greatly greatly appreciated! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, thair said:

Hey Carl. Where could I get a copy of the handbook/reference you posted a picture from? Just wondering if available.

Hi Tully & @Archie,

I think you can find this online, but it's pretty expensive if I recall. snarge good reference, though.

-Carl

On 21/02/2019 at 10:23 PM, thair said:

Hey Carl. Where could I get a copy of the handbook/reference you posted a picture from? Just wondering if available.

I have just done a search on ABE books and found various volumes there. 

Not cheap! 

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a late post, but I just saw this and wanted to say congrats on finding such a rare fossil. Complete toothplates like this are incredibly rare for this aged material. In my opinion, this would be a good specimen to be donated to a museum so that it can be used as reference material, but that's just me.

A decent sized chunk of it has kind of fallen off of it on the top back side,  not sure why, but it’s still in decent condition (Need to look into preserving it) :/

1 hour ago, TNCollector said:

I know this is a late post, but I just saw this and wanted to say congrats on finding such a rare fossil. Complete toothplates like this are incredibly rare for this aged material. In my opinion, this would be a good specimen to be donated to a museum so that it can be used as reference material, but that's just me.

I’m probably going to be donating it to the Kansas Sternberg Museum. God knows they can take care of it better than I can.