Finally another fossil hunt!

Miocene_Mason

I’m quite busy these days, so it’s been a few months but I finally found a few hours to dart out and get a hunt in at brownies on Saturday. There had obviously been a myriad of collectors who braved the cold prior to me, so I wasn’t expecting much. However, I did end up with a few decent specimens. It feels good to get out into nature and climb over some trees once in a while. Despite my muted expression, I had a blast!

77A7761C-9E0D-4DA3-A2C0-1454B4196ABA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice White hemi, broke on the way home sadly but I managed to glue it back together

1C4B7740-04E6-4791-B54B-A6DAFCD963E6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Carcharodon hastalis, under an inch

6680E2E4-1B37-496F-98DB-B43E9BEFBCFF.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Partial cow shark tooth

8C8FD389-CC91-47AA-8981-871A46511664.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Fish vertebrae 

7F91161F-2CC9-4CBB-8670-EC8D292B2CE8.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Half a cookie (epiphysis)

66D286B0-43A8-4C1F-9C57-3893E7BF6CBC.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Worn caudal cetacean verts I believe

73168CD7-9E9C-49B2-9F26-F6032C2209B5.jpeg

935DF0AF-7E30-438E-8C5A-233DEA17F933.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Bigger vert, spotted it laying in the open though covered with clay and rock. Still trying to remove that rock, as you can see

FFDDE2F2-C36F-4C9B-A5FE-56CDA52E1941.jpeg

19CC35EA-A580-4C68-A8FF-54E9E03257A0.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

EFA5FF6C-5AB6-4F96-9690-BC3CDA882C50.jpeg

2761ED00-3BF5-4E2E-905E-37B994C2F391.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

A piece of bone, a little over two inches, with deep, triangular groves. Either some strange anatomical feature I am not familiar with or perhaps bite marks?

60F10DD2-67FF-43CA-BCCE-232BEBEDE334.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

8B737EA9-AAF3-49FE-B30F-07497D26DF99.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

9E4B5C8D-5FFB-45D5-958A-8D1C59FBD6CE.jpeg

Thats it folks! Thanks for reading!

• I found this Informative 5

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not bad!! Have you ever gone through Cretaceous material in Maryland? Years and years ago I went to an area in Maryland where they were dumping material that had oysters, clams and belmenites. It was pretty cool and in your home state. I wish I had the location info. An old teacher of mine told me the location. 

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Not bad!! Have you ever gone through Cretaceous material in Maryland? Years and years ago I went to an area in Maryland where they were dumping material that had oysters, clams and belmenites. It was pretty cool and in your home state. I wish I had the location info. An old teacher of mine told me the location. 

You might be thinking of the C&D canal. They leave dredge piles there.

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Maryland used to have some wonderful Cretaceous marine sites. If you ever get to see the MAPS collection there are many excellent fossils there- especially ammonites and other mollusks that were from Maryland. These would rival those I've seen from other parts of the country. Unfortunately, almost all of those good sites are gone now. Thankfully there are still the excellent Tertiary sites in Maryland.

Nice finds! :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Thanks! Yeah, you may be thinking of Delaware or New Jersey, but I have had a few opportunities to search through the terrestrial Cretaceous deposits of Maryland. Nothing more than lignite thus far, but I hope to do some more searching when it warms up. I’d love to try the Cretaceous marine, but all the viable sites are on private property and hard to get to. Someday maybe.

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Maryland used to have some wonderful Cretaceous marine sites. If you ever get to see the MAPS collection there are many excellent fossils there- especially ammonites and other mollusks that were from Maryland. These would rival those I've seen from other parts of the country. Unfortunately, almost all of those good sites are gone now. Thankfully there are still the excellent Tertiary sites in Maryland.

It is unfortunate I came too late to the party to explore those deposits. However, it is good some fossils were recovered and preserved. Though there is a slim chance that a good site or two could exist somewhere in MD that has yet to be found. And that will keep me looking for years to come, I’m sure.:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's always great to get out into nature! Glad you made the time and found some cool stuff! I see a cliff behind you, do you dig for fossils or are they on the surface?

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

It's always great to get out into nature! Glad you made the time and found some cool stuff! I see a cliff behind you, do you dig for fossils or are they on the surface?

Thanks! It is forbidden (and a bad/potentially fatal idea) to dig in the cliffs. However, the slides and boulders that have fallen off it are fair game. I typically stick to viewing the beach though, the water concentrates fossils so they are easier to find. Or at least it feels that way. 

Happy hunting,

Mason