The lateral plantar would be continuous as it would be at about the same depression as the heel and the metatarsal pad; in the case of the specimen above, there is an obvious discontinuity between where the presumptive metarsal and tarsal pads would be. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 hours ago, Desertboy said:

Why do you say that? This has only been analyzed on the basis of photographic evidence. 

Photographic evidence is really all we have to go on.   :unsure:

Based on that, the shape of the alleged print is wrong, the type of rock hosting the features is wrong.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You're probably right, but if this were my find I would definitely want to search the area for possible other examples like it 

How can we say that based on photographic evidence? Becuase the photo shows all the things that show that it isn’t a footprint Plus the fact that the “toes” would be longer then most peoples fingers…..

20E95EE0-B5C8-4490-BD40-4E21723FD82F.jpeg

Edited by Randyw

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

This thread should probably be locked.

Why? I think that this thread is a good example of a civilly conducted discussion with well behaved participants.

• I Agree 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 11/24/2022 at 11:24 PM, Randyw said:

How can we say that

Um, we didn't really say that. It's just an opinion. :Confused05:

If that were a human foot print, this big toe would be in a very weird position.

In my work i've seen people woth polydactily, they have larger feet but their toes have usually a notmal shape, size and position.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hi, I happen to be reading this post in 2023 and I'm very interested by this picture. 

What other users said is the weird position of the fingers... But if we think about it, what we look at is hard rock, not sand or mud. So why the footprint should mirror a real foot? 
The soil of the earth moves, expands, cracks, that why the foot is misplaced, it definitely didn't formed on solid rock that footprint. 

If we deconstruct the plates of rock like a puzzle and we put it back together. That's a foot. (images below attached)

Let's open this thread again because it is interesting! 

Cheers.

IMG_7135.thumb.JPG.8d1671051950f0a4c41479bf4e0491d3.JPG

Fig. 1

IMG_7134.thumb.JPG.5536d8ff0b8590fc33a67f334f359268.JPG

Fig. 2

Foot.png

Edited by Omono

40 minutes ago, Omono said:

Hi, I happen to be reading this post in 2023 and I'm very interested by this picture. 

What other users said is the weird position of the fingers... But if we think about it, what we look at is hard rock, not sand or mud. So why the footprint should mirror a real foot? 
The soil of the earth moves, expands, cracks, that why the foot is misplaced, it definitely didn't formed on solid rock that footprint. 

If we deconstruct the plates of rock like a puzzle and we put it back together. That's a foot. (images below attached)

Let's open this thread again because it is interesting! 

Cheers.

Foot.png

No real need to revisit this. The rock is not consistent with being the kind that would preserve a footprint.

There is nothing here that cannot be explained by erosion, and possibly human tampering.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The similarity of these two shapes would need to be explained.

Indeed.  As well as explaining why every other dip, divot, and crevice in the immediate proximity must be ignored except the ones that suggest a print.  

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The similarity of these two shapes would need to be explained.

IMG_7134.thumb.JPG.5536d8ff0b8590fc33a67f334f359268 (2).jpg

If I pay more attention, the more defined and deep shadows of the fingers are 5? 
Also if this was mud (I'm not an expert but a lateral thinker), the shape of the footprint would be deformed from its origin. Image example below where the footprint looks longer that it should be, because the foot probably slides when it touches the wet mud.

Anyway I'm just here because it's interesting and fun. If it's not a footprint and the experts say so, it's not.

290-million-year-old-footprint.jpg&f=1&n

Thumb.png.1aa2d0b89c7e023b0ab33f17b6f378ff.png

Edited by Omono

There is much more evidence pointing to falsifying the notion that this is a foot than affirming that it is. Occam's Razor would likely be the best way of approaching this rock.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I just have to convince myself that's not a footprint... and it does look like a footprint.

Look at both heels shadows, they are quite similar. 

Foot.png

Edited by Omono

20 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Indeed.  As well as explaining why every other dip, divot, and crevice in the immediate proximity must be ignored except the ones that suggest a print.  

It's not being ignored, but the foot shape has a darker tone, as if water stagnated there for a long time and this also mean that it's deeper than the other cracks and dips.

16 minutes ago, Omono said:

I just have to convince myself that's not a footprint... and it does look like a footprint.

Look at both heels shadows, they are quite similar. 

Foot.png

Comparing the two prints, the "ball" of the foot is too far away from the "toe" impressions (not to mention the extra "toes" to the left). This is classic pareidolia.

Pareidolia is all around us (and even in space):

Mars face explained: NASA missions debunk mythical human head formation  (VIDEO).

Edited by JBkansas
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Omono said:

I just have to convince myself that's not a footprint

Unsupported belief is a individual prerogative.  Contextual evidence doesn't support that belief.  Ignoring all the other divots and depressions is not an objective observation.  Darker tones can be seen across the rock surface.  

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

E.g.:

A multidisciplinary approach to a unique palaeolithic human ichnological record from Italy (Ba` sura Cave) Marco Romano, Paolo Citton , Isabella Salvador , Daniele Arobba , Ivano Rellini , Marco Firpo , Fabio Negrino , Marta Zunino , Elisabetta Starnini , Marco Avanzini

Romano et al. eLife 2019;8:e45204. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.45204

Note: eLife doesn't have peer review,which doesn;t detract from its status

45204.pdf

edit: about 23 MB

Edited by doushantuo

Hominin tracks in southern Africa: A review and an approach to identification

Charles W. Helm, Martin G. Lockley, Kevin Cole,

Timothy D. Noakes & Richard T. McCrea

Palaeontologia africana 53: 81–96 — ISSN 2410-4418 [Palaeontol. afr.]

The approach is "feets on",and this horrible pun is no mean feet

edit: about 17 MB,

Helmetal2019Approachtohominintracks.pdf

Edited by doushantuo

• 1 month later...

Since people keep DMing me about this I want to make it very clear that I agree that they aren't footprints, they're geological in origin. I had forgot this thread existed, since I immediately accepted their geologic origin in 2019 and moved on. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5