Turitella and other shells id

JohnBrewer

Wow, John! :)

That Arietites covered in Gryphaea is a magnificent piece! 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wow, John! :)

That Arietites covered in Gryphaea is a magnificent piece! 

It's wonderful.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Here is a Turritella terebralis with a nice boring, like the one from your image, John. :)
In the description appears that it was found in Miocene, Burdigalian; Saucats - la Brede near Bordeaux, France. Link

Turritella_terebralis_01.thumb.JPG.3c73d206439a5a68a480662791622972.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nice specimens John! (The ammonite with devil's toenails especially, that one's great!)

About the OP specimens, I won't delve into the Turritella ID (that's a genus I really rather not mess with too much :P).

But for the other shells in the block, a better picture of the white blob in the middle would be helpful (right now it looks to me like something from the Naticidae, but I'm not sure). The bivalve on top of it is most likely one from the Cardiidae or Carditidae (yes, those are two very different families, even though the shells look a lot alike and the name only has one letter difference). Should be relatively easy to ID if you prep it out and take a picture of the hinge and full structure. If it's complete, that is...

Then the shell on the left side, I think it's an Euthriofusus burdigalensis (which would indicate Miocene sediments). 

More pictures of those 3 specimens would help to confirm/find better IDs. :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

38 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Nice specimens John! (The ammonite with devil's toenails especially, that one's great!)

About the OP specimens, I won't delve into the Turritella ID (that's a genus I really rather not mess with too much :P).

But for the other shells in the block, a better picture of the white blob in the middle would be helpful (right now it looks to me like something from the Naticidae, but I'm not sure). The bivalve on top of it is most likely one from the Cardiidae or Carditidae (yes, those are two very different families, even though the shells look a lot alike and the name only has one letter difference). Should be relatively easy to ID if you prep it out and take a picture of the hinge and full structure. If it's complete, that is...

Then the shell on the left side, I think it's an Euthriofusus burdigalensis (which would indicate Miocene sediments). 

More pictures of those 3 specimens would help to confirm/find better IDs. :) 

I also think the bivalve is a Cardiidae or Carditidae, it looks like the venericardiae i have in photo. As for the one on the left, i agree it is a Buccinidae. Nice shot @Max-fossils.:raindance:

Here are ones i saw on that site : http://fossile1.free.fr/fossiles/Euthriofusus burdigalensis,Defrance 1820/target4.html

5c68894863f80_EUTHBURD131.thumb.jpg.ca883dfeaac5340430b4df6fa7f5e935.jpg5c68894c2f4b2_EUTHBURD141.thumb.jpg.4b7d9b1dbf8ea27839c88101efdcff84.jpg

EUTHBURD12[2].jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Very nice specimens Sophie! @fifbrindacier

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Very nice specimens Sophie! @fifbrindacier

They aren't mine.

In memory of Doren

1 minute ago, fifbrindacier said:

They aren't mines.

Oops, my bad :P :doh!:

Max Derème

Too bad ! And if it’s not yours, too bad they’re not mine either... :eyeroll:
Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

To add my stone in the topic, my very first impression was it looked more burdigalian to me than lutetian to me.

Being said that I wont pretend i have venture most of  paris basin sites but i visited quite a few over the years.

Being said also that my knowledge of burdigalian is close to zero.

But both the shells and the matrix looked more burdigalian to me.

Here is a block i recently acquired from burdigalian, so you can compare.

bloc-saucat.thumb.jpg.f56ec6274aba745d1dbdd17e7b184509.jpg

3 hours ago, elcoincoin said:

Good acquisition, and nice comparative block. :dinothumb:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

13 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

How much money do you have :ighappy:

Not enough i'm afraid. Next time i come back to Roquefort, i hope to gather some of them.

10 hours ago, elcoincoin said:

To add my stone in the topic, my very first impression was it looked more burdigalian to me than lutetian to me.

Being said that I wont pretend i have venture most of  paris basin sites but i visited quite a few over the years.

Being said also that my knowledge of burdigalian is close to zero.

But both the shells and the matrix looked more burdigalian to me.

bloc-saucat.thumb.jpg.f56ec6274aba745d1dbdd17e7b184509.jpg

You have a nice bit of Melongena cornuta here.

In memory of Doren

Well, i usually just dont buy fossils. Simple as that, my matter is what i find, end of story.

But ....

A relative moved for a smaller place so he get rid of some stuff.... which i bought for a ridiculous price.

Mostly because there was a xenophora in the pack and im fascinated by those gastropods.

That block came with the lot, colateral damage, sort of...

I submitted this identification to a friend who knows gastropods.
According to him, these fossils come from the Burdigalian of Léognan in Bordeaux and here is his determination
- Turritellidae - Turritella terebralis,
- Buccinidae (left) - Euthriofusus burdigalensis,
- Glycymerididae (center) - Glycymeris cor,
- Arcidae indet. (maybe Arca (Anadara) girondica)

• I found this Informative 6

On 16.2.2019 at 4:04 PM, JohnBrewer said:
On 15.2.2019 at 11:40 PM, abyssunder said:

Just in parenthesis: (Is the matrix Loess, or maybe not?) :headscratch:

I think so. It seems to be very fine sand. It is very hard and not crumbly at all.

Probably not, loess is an aeolian sediment (no Turritellas in there) and usually very soft and crumbly.

But now its clear:

15 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

And still according to him, it is about a composite block with a reconstituted gangue.

OMG!! :(:doh!:

Franz Bernhard