JohnBrewer

Turitella and other shells id

JohnBrewer

Hi folks, what do I have here? The label says ‘Turitella Essonne France 45 million years old’ I guess Essone is a typo and should be Essonne? Cube is 1cm3

@fifbrindacier @Coco @maxfossils42FB5B33-234C-479E-A109-A89705EB94F8.thumb.jpeg.f7378ed5787daecb56803deb36d52be8.jpeg

fifbrindacier

I think those are Turritellae terebralis.

Essonne is a department situated at the South of Paris.

JohnBrewer

Thank you Sophie. Do you think the location and age seems right?

JohnBrewer

That’s interesting, Sophie. The examples you show bottom left, what length are they?

I did think from what i gathered from the web that Eocene might have been wrong. :) 

Darktooth

Gee, why you look so serious John?:P

fifbrindacier

@marguy's identification fits better with the labelled age.

JohnBrewer
19 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I’m a very serious guy. You should know that from all my posts :P 

JohnBrewer

@marguy @fifbrindacier does that fit with the location tho? 

Sophie, your scale is fab! Where can I get one?

fifbrindacier

Send me a message with your contact details, i'll send you one (i have them with my club).

The location fits, there's been several transgressions and régressions of the sea in that basin, @marguy knows that area better than me.

abyssunder

Just in parenthesis: (Is the matrix Loess, or maybe not?) :headscratch:

JohnBrewer
16 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Just in parenthesis: (Is the matrix Loess, or maybe not?) :headscratch:

I think so. It seems to be very fine sand. It is very hard and not crumbly at all.

marguy
22 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

The label says ‘Turitella Essonne France 45 million years old’

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

To confuse these Turritella terebra - Miocène - Bordeaux - France seem identical to what I have

so, if Miocène, Burdigalian near Bordeaux, 15-20 million years, not 45 and not bassin parisien ! 

and in this case (miocène, Bordeaux basin), Fifi was  probably right for T Terebralis ...(color, shape seem identical) and the label is totally wrong (age and location!)

it remains confused by lack of precise information on the origin...

KimTexan
21 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I had to go look at his profile to see the pic since you said that.

@JohnBrewer You don’t look anything like I remember the first profile pic looking like. Is this the same person as a year to year and a half ago? I don’t recall you looking so ruggedly handsome before, but then again it might be partly that amazing ammonite in the background that is so eye catching.

What is the ammonite? It looks amazing! Sorry to distract from the OP topic.

21 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

The ones i find are usually between 5 and 7 cm, but i found one with its point unbroken, and it is 10 cm long.

IMG_3312.thumb.JPG.488c3e79d7d3753fbd1e2eb385a33675.JPG

Wow! That is beautiful and impressive in size and that it was preserved so well is even more impressive. 

I found a form or turritella in Maryland, but they were so delicate that many didn’t survive the trip back to Texas. They were no where near this size.

@JohnBrewer

There is a Fossil Gastropod group on Facebook that is quite serious about their gastropods.

There is this one guy from Indonesia I think who posts a gastropod almost everyday. They are amazing, beautiful and quite diverse in size and genus. They’re pure eye candy. You may like it if you’re not on there already. I’m pretty much on FB just for my fossil groups.

If you can’t get the ID you need I imagine someone on there could help you if you're on FB. I think the group originates in Europe, maybe Italy or somewhere around the Mediterranean if I’m not mistaken.

fifbrindacier
1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

I had to go look at his profile to see the pic since you said that.

@JohnBrewer You don’t look anything like I remember the first profile pic looking like. Is this the same person as a year to year and a half ago? I don’t recall you looking so ruggedly handsome before, but then again it might be partly that amazing ammonite in the background that is so eye catching.

What is the ammonite? It looks amazing! Sorry to distract from the OP topic.

Wow! That is beautiful and impressive in size and that it was preserved so well is even more impressive. 

I found a form or turritella in Maryland, but they were so delicate that many didn’t survive the trip back to Texas. They were no where near this size.

@JohnBrewer

There is a Fossil Gastropod group on Facebook that is quite serious about their gastropods.

There is this one guy from Indonesia I think who posts a gastropod almost everyday. They are amazing, beautiful and quite diverse in size and genus. They’re pure eye candy. You may like it if you’re not on there already. I’m pretty much on FB just for my fossil groups.

If you can’t get the ID you need I imagine someone on there could help you if you're on FB. I think the group originates in Europe, maybe Italy or somewhere around the Mediterranean if I’m not mistaken.

I'm confident about marguy's identification. I proposed mine because they look like the turritellae i know, noting the age didn't fit. Marguy knows better the area John's come from.

Thank you for your comment, it's really hard to find one with the point unbroken, even modern turritellae have their point broken, the more when the shell is Million of Years old.

JohnBrewer

You don’t look anything like I remember the first profile pic looking like. Is this the same person as a year to year and a half ago?

To be honest as I change my avatar so often I can’t remember what it was a year and a half ago! Often it’s a photo of Violet, my 10 year old. 

What is the ammonite?

It’s an Arietites bucklandi from Germany infested by gryphea. I’ve only seen one more with gryphea and the ammo only had a few so mine, I guess, is pretty unique. It weighs about 50 lbs! I’m straining more than it looks in the photo. 

BED40914-2C2B-4B23-B3B5-99320675604E.thumb.jpeg.70dd073d246e892ee057b325ba7b29b8.jpeg 

There is this one guy from Indonesia I think who posts a gastropod almost everyday.

Oh, I didn’t think of Facebook as I rarely use it. Thanks for the heads up. 

JohnBrewer
1 hour ago, marguy said:

it remains confused by lack of precise information on the origin...

Indeed!

fifbrindacier
3 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

To confuse these Turritella terebra - Miocène - Bordeaux - France seem identical https://www.alamyimages.fr/photo-image-escargot-de-mer-fossile-oiseaux-turritella-terebra-miocene-bordeaux-france-33820515.html to what I have :headscratch:

I also saw that page, but i didn't mentioned it because i didn't want to confuse you.

You might also find an answer here http://fossilshells.nl.

JohnBrewer

Thank you for the link Fifi :) 

JohnBrewer
11 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

That's good for musculation !

Rise it over your head, 1, 2, 3, 4

Up and down to your feet, 1, 2, 3, 4

To your left, 1, 2, 3, 4

To your right, 1, 2, 3, 4

Throw it in the air and catch it with your feet, 1, 2, 3, 4

Not at my age!