Jump to content
Zenmaster6

Is this Turritella?

Recommended Posts

Zenmaster6

I'm 90% sure these are turritella I collected. Maybe someone knows the species but I doubt it.
If these are in fact turritella, let me know.

52392587_392127324679799_2457414260515405824_n.jpg

52432294_256512588605846_9058614875177091072_n.jpg

52633895_439526470123601_7937368707133603840_n.jpg

52686633_2098144536945167_8622281201886953472_n.jpg

51830149_2066115706769275_4129738272035307520_n.jpg

51993335_2230567093827932_1615201371684864000_n.jpg

52001762_238167880422575_9064659964336799744_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Do you know what formation they are from and time period? Also better pics are needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Fossil gastropods are mostly classified by external shape and features. This makes it hard to make a good id from a cross section or print.

It will help if You can find one with the external features intact.

It would also help if You kept Your pictures around 1 meg or larger.  That way We can better see the fine details. You can add more pictures in a reply.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zenmaster6
35 minutes ago, ynot said:

Fossil gastropods are mostly classified by external shape and features. This makes it hard to make a good id from a cross section or print.

It will help if You can find one with the external features intact.

It would also help if You kept Your pictures around 1 meg or larger.  That way We can better see the fine details. You can add more pictures in a reply.

 

 

 

I should invest in a better camera. The fossils are very small and not easy to pick up. I'll try to get some better shots tomorrow. Thanks : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DPS Ammonite

It is probably not possible to give an ID down to genus (Turritella) on these without more distinctive features being visible. Turritella gets used as a wastebasket genus for snails that sort of look alike and probably belong to other genera in the family Turritellidae. Maybe experts, other than me, can confirm that your snails are in the Turritellidae family.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritellidae

 

http://shells.tricity.wsu.edu/ArcherdShellCollection/Gastropoda/Turritellidae.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zenmaster6
32 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is probably not possible to give an ID down to genus (Turritella) on these without more distinctive features being visible. Turritella gets used as a wastebasket genus for snails that sort of look alike and probably belong to other genera in the family Turritellidae. Maybe experts, other than me, can confirm that your snails are in the Turritellidae family.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritellidae

 

http://shells.tricity.wsu.edu/ArcherdShellCollection/Gastropoda/Turritellidae.html

Okay, okay. I got my microscope and magnifying glass out for this one.

Microscope and magnifying glass images.

52422213_779321302443021_9187380417072726016_n.jpg

52144372_242006993415918_1174319744640090112_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

Thanks for the closeups. You didn't mention where these were collected, which may help narrow down an age. Was this found in Washington? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zenmaster6
1 minute ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the closeups. You didn't mention where these were collected, which may help narrow down an age. Was this found in Washington? 

They were collected in Washington State near Tukwila. I believe the formation was Steels Crossing (or at least that's what I read online) (if you know a better way to find the formation please let me know) The local geologic map say TC (tertiary continental sediment) However, based on the dates of every surrounding area, the specific date is around the Oligocene period. Other people have identified one of the shells I found in the same area to possibly be a Pecten Bivalve, which indicates this area is no older than 70 million years, or late cretaceous period.  Assuming they are correct, that caps off the possibility of any older turritella look alikes which were extinct before that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

I know very little about your collecting area, but I'm hoping others who do collect there weigh in. :fingerscrossed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

I'd still like to see larger pics... a magnifier doesn't do much good if your pics are still only 3x4" on the screen. I still can't help with your IDs more than anyone else already has but even experts will need good, large pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×