Zenmaster6

I found this "Gastropod" shell next to turritella shells and bivalve steinkerns. Do you think this is a gastropod? I know its too crummy of quality to be able to identify species. Let me know, thanks - John

52448028_762275600805989_2436526546064769024_n.jpg

52837072_258706295031182_3183504393441902592_n.jpg

Clear pictures in better lighting with proper scale would help (95% of the world does not use US decimal coinage).

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Can't see too clearly, but it looks like a gastropod, or part of a gastropod internal mold from what i can see. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, Kane said:

95% of the world does not use US decimal coinage).

And the other 5% of us still don't know the size. :rofl:

• I found this Informative 2

26 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Ah, but hair is universal. :)

Now would that be thin hair or coarse hair? 

It will make a huge difference in sizing up an item if using a strand of hair for scale purposes. ;)

36 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Now would that be thin hair or coarse hair? 

It will make a huge difference in sizing up an item if using a strand of hair for scale purposes. ;)

Fine 

Coarse hair would look, coarser. :)

It is a gastropod. General location and formation are always helpful and may get you even more information.

Some formation and locations have a very limited number of genus and species. If someone knows the formation well they may be able to provide the genus and species of the gastropod.

4 hours ago, KimTexan said:

It is a gastropod. General location and formation are always helpful and may get you even more information.

Some formation and locations have a very limited number of genus and species. If someone knows the formation well they may be able to provide the genus and species of the gastropod.

Yes, this post was rushed because I was heading to bed but I only wanted genus. There are over at least 50 gastropod species in my formation.
It was found in King county, Tukwila, Western Washington in the Blakeley formation in the Oligocene period.

I am not going to try to Identify this down to a species because it is too small and lacks sufficient detail I believe.
Also 30 of the gastropods found in this formation were new species and when searched for online they only come up in the same PDF I am reading.

I'll post some images of the list of gastropods but I doubt anything will come up.

ewjnewf.PNG

acsnjac.PNG

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Fine 

Coarse hair would look, coarser. :)

I was sore and tired after driving for 2 hours and squatting and picking for two hours.
When I got home after a ton of traffic I quickly snapped shots of these guys and climbed into bed, remembered I forgot about the gastropod so this image was pretty crummy.
I'll upload new ones in the future. I'm only looking for gastropod or not, no species.

Your gastropod is a steinkern, and rather poorly preserved too. It's gonna be hell finding a species name, or genus, for your specimen. Even finding out the family could be really difficult. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but gastropod ID is a really difficult task, and usually better when dealing with the actual shells (to recognize sculpture and more characteristic details), and it is probably best to leave your gastropod at Gastropoda indet. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

52 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

I was sore and tired after driving for 2 hours and squatting and picking for two hours.
When I got home after a ton of traffic I quickly snapped shots of these guys and climbed into bed, remembered I forgot about the gastropod so this image was pretty crummy.
I'll upload new ones in the future. I'm only looking for gastropod or not, no species.

Sounds like a trip to Ridgemont Quarry after eurypterids. Only without the third degree from customs for seeming slightly disoriented having slept four hours in the last three days. :)

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Sounds like a trip to Ridgemont Quarry after eurypterids. Only without the third degree from customs for seeming slightly disoriented having slept four hours in the last three days. :)

Jeez man, was that you? I would totally appreciate if you showed me some Eurypterids you found. They are my favorite fossil :)

Also, this trip was horrible. Its about 35 minute from my house (If your car floated over the other cars) but I live in Tacoma and this spot is 5 minutes from seattle. The traffic on I5 (interstate 5) is so bad its 1 hour and 45 minutes just to drive one way, stop and start traffic. so most of the trip is driving. Also missing breakfast, lunch and dinner made me more miserable. + the snow on the ground that numbs your hands when you dig into the semi frozen dirt but its just wet enough to puddle up and soak your shoes through. Did I mention this spot is on a hill / mountain? 

11 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

Jeez man, was that you? I would totally appreciate if you showed me some Eurypterids you found. They are my favorite fossil :)

Also, this trip was horrible. Its about 35 minute from my house (If your car floated over the other cars) but I live in Tacoma and this spot is 5 minutes from seattle. The traffic on I5 (interstate 5) is so bad its 1 hour and 45 minutes just to drive one way, stop and start traffic. so most of the trip is driving. Also missing breakfast, lunch and dinner made me more miserable. + the snow on the ground that numbs your hands when you dig into the semi frozen dirt but its just wet enough to puddle up and soak your shoes through. Did I mention this spot is on a hill / mountain? 

Aye, it is those moments that are best captured for motivational posters captioned with DEDICATION or WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF? :D It is certainly something most of us have in common! Hopefully you were able to bag a few more pieces for all that effort. Looking a bit closer at your image, it does look like a gastropod with some interesting nodular ornamentation. If it's not a steinkern, it almost looks like you might be able to reveal more of it (or pop it off the matrix). 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Aye, it is those moments that are best captured for motivational posters captioned with DEDICATION or WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF? :D It is certainly something most of us have in common! Hopefully you were able to bag a few more pieces for all that effort. Looking a bit closer at your image, it does look like a gastropod with some interesting nodular ornamentation. If it's not a steinkern, it almost looks like you might be able to reveal more of it (or pop it off the matrix). 

Hey, Kane, I appreciate the comment. I believe it is a steinkern unfortunately but I can take better pictures and you could let me know what you think?

I'll do my best, but I'm not the best in identifying gastros outside of my usual collecting areas. :( But someone on here will probably recognize it in a flash!

2 hours ago, Zenmaster6 said:

Jeez man, was that you? I would totally appreciate if you showed me some Eurypterids you found.

One relatively complete section and some scattered pieces was the best I could do. They are pretty rare and the rock is hard, hard. It was well worth it just for the sake of having tried though. The Buffalo area is dripping with fossils anyway.