UtahFossilHunter

DinoFest 2019 Natural History Museum of Utah

indominus rex

Awesome picture of museum specimens, thanks for sharing:). Even though a bunch of us may never get the chance to visit those museums we can at least admire the specimens through pictures shared by you guys:dinothumb:

The Amateur Paleontologist

Very nice specimens! Thanks for sharing this - I always enjoy "behind the scenes" tours of museums :) 

Just one thing, though... the first skull really reminds me of the skull of an ichthyosaur, not a phytosaur..

-Christian

Tidgy's Dad

Thanks for sharing.:)

It looks a fascinating experience.

Dinoguy89

Very cool, that tyrannosaur skull looks awesome. Looks like you had a great time :)

UtahFossilHunter
2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice specimens! Thanks for sharing this - I always enjoy "behind the scenes" tours of museums :) 

Just one thing, though... the first skull really reminds me of the skull of an ichthyosaur, not a phytosaur..

-Christian

Whoops, you are correct I added the wrong photo. Nice catch.:dinothumb:

5 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Awesome picture of museum specimens, thanks for sharing:). Even though a bunch of us may never get the chance to visit those museums we can at least admire the specimens through pictures shared by you guys:dinothumb:

You’re welcome!

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for sharing.:)

It looks a fascinating experience.

It was great fun:dinothumb:

1 hour ago, Dinoguy89 said:

Very cool, that tyrannosaur skull looks awesome. Looks like you had a great time :)

It was in ridiculously good condition. They hadn’t put all the loose bones on it so it’s supposed to be more complete than that.

UtahFossilHunter
5 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I added the wrong photo. 

Fixed. Added correct photos.

HamptonsDoc

I’ve never seen pterosaur tracks before..... cool! 

UtahFossilHunter
52 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I’ve never seen pterosaur tracks before..... cool! 

Neither had I. I made sure to take some decent pictures of them.

jdiaz55

Glad to see you made it out for DinoFest! I had the opportunity to sit with one of the lab preparators and chat with him about his tools and job and work a little bit with his scribe on a femur he had out, what an awesome museum trip!

jpc

Did you talk to anyone there about volunteering?  This would be a great place to spend your spare time.  

Xiphactinus

Great photos! Thank you for sharing. (I think I need the print contract for "Please do not touch" signs.)

UtahFossilHunter
11 hours ago, jpc said:

Did you talk to anyone there about volunteering?  This would be a great place to spend your spare time.  

Yes, they actually get a lot of volunteers wanting to help out. They have to selectively choose volunteers right now from what the guy I talked to in the prep lab told me.

UtahFossilHunter
10 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

Great photos! Thank you for sharing. (I think I need the print contract for "Please do not touch" signs.)

They had plenty of “touch me” fossils to satisfy even the most grabby of people:P

UtahFossilHunter
12 hours ago, jdiaz55 said:

Glad to see you made it out for DinoFest! I had the opportunity to sit with one of the lab preparators and chat with him about his tools and job and work a little bit with his scribe on a femur he had out, what an awesome museum trip!

I’d have to say DinoFest is one of the best times to visit the museum.