DinoFest 2019 Natural History Museum of Utah

DeepTimeIsotopes

I attended DinoFest at the Natural History Museum of Utah this year. Once a year they open up the prep lab and their storage room to the public. While I took more photos then I could ever post, here are the highlights.

• I found this Informative 4

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

A very complete ichthyosaur skull with ammonite fragments.

DA708DEC-BF5C-4AA8-AE4C-6994B6721171.thumb.jpeg.adfcf3a95226b581a246856ab9ed8133.jpeg

Near complete phytosaur skull, notice the nostrils are up towards the eyes rather than the end of the snout like crocodiles.

643CD066-AA63-48E2-877D-F0AB81341913.thumb.jpeg.1de03aa760db6d4fd65a233a22e0e841.jpeg

E045616F-B4F8-4333-8CE6-7B0DED7C2523.jpeg

Edited by UtahFossilHunter
Fixed photos
  • I found this Informative 7

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Another very complete phytosaur in the prep lab

F9686997-ECE7-4E82-94C3-C73F963B52D2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

DB84D787-9FF3-4350-88DD-494177790C6A.jpeg

Allosaurus fragillis full skull cast. This is one cast I would not mind to have in my collection.

A59505F3-7C7B-42D5-A5CA-E1E99CF04B8C.jpeg

E7AE8179-9786-4871-802F-CAFC57129843.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

How about a real one this time? A very suburb Tyrannosaur skull.

4DC17696-6927-4E90-9C14-81CA516F49AE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Parasaurolophus skulls

84D3CB0C-DEF6-4C4B-BC6B-77C5906793BD.jpeg

C04FB0C0-EF60-49F5-8600-3477A503E2A9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

An absolutely massive sauropod scapula 

7AC9121F-F82A-4C39-BEB6-2A3A6A6BC4A9.jpeg

Mammoth tusk

A766C10F-D22C-4EB2-BE2D-D2FC97668229.jpeg

And finally a slab of pterosaur tracks

ED6550CB-ACA5-4D04-93A6-06496FD34F87.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

Awesome picture of museum specimens, thanks for sharing:). Even though a bunch of us may never get the chance to visit those museums we can at least admire the specimens through pictures shared by you guys:dinothumb:

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Very nice specimens! Thanks for sharing this - I always enjoy "behind the scenes" tours of museums :) 

Just one thing, though... the first skull really reminds me of the skull of an ichthyosaur, not a phytosaur..

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice specimens! Thanks for sharing this - I always enjoy "behind the scenes" tours of museums :) 

Just one thing, though... the first skull really reminds me of the skull of an ichthyosaur, not a phytosaur..

-Christian

Whoops, you are correct I added the wrong photo. Nice catch.:dinothumb:

5 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Awesome picture of museum specimens, thanks for sharing:). Even though a bunch of us may never get the chance to visit those museums we can at least admire the specimens through pictures shared by you guys:dinothumb:

You’re welcome!

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for sharing.:)

It looks a fascinating experience.

It was great fun:dinothumb:

1 hour ago, Dinoguy89 said:

Very cool, that tyrannosaur skull looks awesome. Looks like you had a great time :)

It was in ridiculously good condition. They hadn’t put all the loose bones on it so it’s supposed to be more complete than that.

5 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I added the wrong photo. 

Fixed. Added correct photos.

52 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I’ve never seen pterosaur tracks before..... cool! 

Neither had I. I made sure to take some decent pictures of them.

Glad to see you made it out for DinoFest! I had the opportunity to sit with one of the lab preparators and chat with him about his tools and job and work a little bit with his scribe on a femur he had out, what an awesome museum trip!

11 hours ago, jpc said:

Did you talk to anyone there about volunteering?  This would be a great place to spend your spare time.  

Yes, they actually get a lot of volunteers wanting to help out. They have to selectively choose volunteers right now from what the guy I talked to in the prep lab told me.

10 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

Great photos! Thank you for sharing. (I think I need the print contract for "Please do not touch" signs.)

They had plenty of “touch me” fossils to satisfy even the most grabby of people:P

12 hours ago, jdiaz55 said:

Glad to see you made it out for DinoFest! I had the opportunity to sit with one of the lab preparators and chat with him about his tools and job and work a little bit with his scribe on a femur he had out, what an awesome museum trip!

I’d have to say DinoFest is one of the best times to visit the museum.