Strange symmetrical item from big brook nj

I'm Frosty

Hello ! I just pulled this strange looking item out from the big brook river in NJ the other day.. Its about a 1/2" in size and that's all the information I have on it. I know for a fact it's not a concretion like my last post! Thank you all for advancing this new comers knowledge & passion for fossils that has recently been ignited . 20190216_094607.thumb.jpg.52b991d85297bed76232461f98cc2c77.jpg20190216_094418.thumb.jpg.ce63f6e480079cc70c6dd44ab8aca405.jpg

Looks to me to be a tooth plate from some type of ray. The more interesting side that you've pictured is actually the root and the occlusal surface is actually on the bottom in your images. You can do an internet search (or search this forum) for "ray tooth plate" and you'll find similar images to your item.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

14 minutes ago, I'm Frosty said:

Thank you all for advancing this new comers knowledge & passion for fossils that has recently been ignited . 

That's what we do here. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, digit said:

Looks to me to be a tooth plate from some type of ray. The more interesting side that you've pictured is actually the root and the occlusal surface is actually on the bottom in your images. You can do an internet search (or search this forum) for "ray tooth plate" and you'll find similar images to your item.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you Ken ! That's exciting to learn that it's a tooth & that the bottom surface that's not in the pictures is actually the part that came in contact with food. 

Congratulations on the ray plate. Those are not easy to spot. You may want to check out the website Fossils of New Jersey by a Fossil Forum member. It posts a wide assortment of fossils that may be found in New Jersey's Cretaceous streams. I've used it a lot to ID material.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It’s Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis.

:bravo:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg