Trilobite question

digsrocks73

I know that Metacanthina is now called Hollardops but I have a Hollardops that has a spine right on the center of the cephalon where it meets the thorax. Is this a Hollardops or something else.Thank anyone for advice.

Was it reassigned? I thought Metacanthina was still a valid genus name. :headscratch:

Could you provide a picture? Apart from being able to assess it better, it is always nice to have some trilobite eye candy. :D 

My source (Lebrun, 2018) lists these: 

Metacanthina issoumourensis (Morzadec, 2001) 

Metacanthina maderensis (Morzadec, 2001)

Metacanthina munieri (Oehlert, 1871)

Metacanthina wallacei (Termjer & Termier, 1950)

Here's some images of my own M. issoumourensis with that spiny occipital ring protuberance:

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I have no way of posting a photo now that I lost photobucket and camera will no longer take close ups? In any case yours is exactly what mine looks like with the spine on the occipital ring .

The other hollardops I have do not have the spine. Also the border of the cephalon is round on the hollardops while this one has a small round tab at the front as yours does. I am a little mixed up as the wikipedia under Metacanthina shows them now renamed as hollardops, that is where my  "I don't know" came from. I bought this as a metacanthina. I take it that Metacanthina is still a valid name ?

Yeah, the entry on Wikipedia does say they were reassigned in 1997, but then I keep tripping on articles published since that still use Metacanthina. Either it was reclassified and other trilobite workers haven't caught on, or ... who knows? :D The one I have here was sold as M. barrandei, but a fellow trilo expert who visited said it was M. issoumourensis. Like you, my other Hollardops also has a round ring and no tab-like spathe.

But this taxonomic question is going to drive me bonkers until we can know for certain! Let me use the forum bat-signal to get @piranha to tell us!

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That would be great. I have already switched once from Asteropyge and  feels like confusion rules. I can't believe they are the same as a 5 yr. old could see the difference.

I'm not certain, but I think there was a revision in 1997 which put some of the Metacanthina into the new genus Hollardops.

But Metacanthina still survived as a valid genus with some species included. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285666114_Asteropyginae_trilobites_from_the_Devonian_of_the_Ougarta_Algeria

This one, I think. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Kane said:

My source (Lebrun, 2018) lists these:

Metacanthina issoumourensis (Morzadec, 2001) 

Metacanthina maderensis (Morzadec, 2001)

Metacanthina munieri (Oehlert, 1871)

Metacanthina wallacei (Termjer & Termier, 1950)

"Metacanthina munieri" is incorrect in Lebrun 2018.  He mentions this species twice and fortunately is correct where it is cited as: Pseudocryphaeus munieri (Oehlert 1877).

Oehlert, D.V. 1877

Sur le fossiles du départment de la Mayenne. [On the fossils of the department of Mayenne.]

Bulletin de la Société géologique de France, 2nd Series, (Ser.3) 5:578-603

• I found this Informative 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png