Is this jaw section real?

britishcanuk

Hi,

I saw this jaw section for sale and was wondering if it’s legitimate and if so, what is it? It measures approximately 6.5” x 4”. There is no collection data with it.

thanks.

BB747939-B3F7-4191-9BD6-467ADE1059F6.jpeg

253EA94C-EFAF-48EE-BF1E-9386735587E9.jpeg

AF512C11-24E9-4600-95BB-11AD4BAEC4DC.jpeg

8CD3F1D8-DC19-4E33-9E86-C0E65594EE8F.jpeg

E6477DA6-8FE1-4D02-B7B2-7D667E5FBE00.jpeg

12 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

There is no collection data with it.

I don't know if it's real or fake, but this alone is enough for me to stay away from it. 

I do have to say that the bone part looks really weird to me. I may be wrong, but to me it appears like this was just a big bone piece in which teeth were stuck in. I'm not a big fan of this piece...

• I found this Informative 4

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 2/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, Max-fossils said:

I don't know if it's real or fake, but this alone is enough for me to stay away from it. 

I do have to say that the bone part looks really weird to me. I may be wrong, but to me it appears like this was just a big bone piece in which teeth were stuck in. I'm not a big fan of this piece...

On closer inspection, I feel that it is quite likely true about the bone. I would go so far as to add that I suspect the teeth also are carved from bone and polished. In the last photo, especially the second tooth from the bottom appears to have an area of porosity one would not expect to see on a tooth.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, stay clear from this one.

This essentially "teeth" jutting out of spongy bone, which usually comprises the interior volume of bone.  Really lame attempt at a forgery really.

Edited by olorotitan
  • I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, olorotitan said:

Yikes, stay clear from this one.

This essentially "teeth" jutting out of spongy bone, which usually comprises the interior volume of bone.  Really lame attempt at a forgery really.

That was exactly what i meant...totally agree...:dinothumb: