Carboniferous unknown

gigantoraptor

Hell All

I was going through some micro-matrix from the quarry in Soignies when I found this tiny object. I'm not sure it's a fossil but I wanted to check and it seems to be too symmetrical to be geologic.

The piece is 2,5 mm in size. It's found in marine deposits togheter with crinoid parts, trilobites...

It's from the Tournaisian (Carboniferous).

What do you all think? Picture one shows one side and the second picture the opposite side. It's round and nearly perfectly symmetrical.

51892066_525109487978841_7259494401058013184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-bru2-1.xx&oh=05a62fd928cff4a18683028f82e854cb&oe=5CF93FEF

52188081_959824474216084_3167676816185884672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-bru2-1.xx&oh=2db7c80f431abbcee007b6bb1f34f8f3&oe=5CF48B5F

Thanks already

That's really curious. Lately, I've been looking for micros from the Plattsburg fm., Late Pennsylvanian.

I've been finding several of these, which look very similar to yours, except all of mine are pyritized.

Hope I'm not imposing on your thread, but I've been wondering what they are, also.

The squares on the graph paper are 5mm.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Steve

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It looks suspiciously like a piece I once had identified as modern caterpillar poop. Mine dissolved in water.

Thank you, Dale. I had found modern caterpillar droppings in some Lee Creek matrix acquired in a trade.

That resemblance is exactly what crossed my mind, but the mineralization is what makes it curious to me.

The OP's appears calcified, but he'll have to test that for sure.

Steve

After looking a bit online, could it be a fossil sea urchin lantern? I didn't find any fossil examples but it looks a bit like this (from a recent one):

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor sea urchin lantern

There are sea urchins present in Soignies (like Archaeocidaris urii). What do you guys think, any of you have such thing?

4 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

fossil sea urchin lantern?

Those have a 5 fold symmetry, the op's piece looks like a 4 fold symmetry.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.