Seahorse Or What?

Nick Yiu

Here's another hard to believe natures object(1) I found while snorkeling.

It's with another object(2) with simmilar texture and most likely both are separated from its original resting ground, as typhoon generated current pushes it to shallower water.

To describe the object;

Specimen one - Object is much larger than a Party plate. It had a perfect facial image of a horse on either sides. As it is, Object doesn't appear like land horse, since it DOESN'T HAD large eye socket, large Ears, neither traces of tightly closed large mouth couldn't be found. Instead, specimen HAD small eye socket, comb like bulge on top of the head and there seem like gill hole closer to the neck. As per traits in it, i suspect that Specimen is a (Pigmy) SEAHORSE ...... Note; As pictures details the likely muscles that shrunk smaller and closer to to skull, can i ask? Is there possibilty that Object came about and fossilized in Medussa-effect simmilar to SQUID SAC found in UK?

Specimen Two - This has simmilar texture as above. Out of curiousity to find out what might it be made of. I cut an end with a stone cutting tool. As observed, the inside of the stone is very dense and smooth like glazed tiles. Also, i noted a faded yellow like pigment surrounding the hole in the center..., As it is, as there's not much hole to be seen, plus its' dense composition inside make the object heavy, I conclude, object is not coral. What might this be?

I hope the above is a Fossil SEAHORSE. Thanks for taking time and best wishes.

post-2295-12541210186595_thumb.jpg

post-2295-12541210476986_thumb.jpg

post-2295-12541210787309_thumb.jpg

post-2295-12541212695472_thumb.jpg

post-2295-1254121429386_thumb.jpg

Here's another hard to believe natures object(1) I found while snorkeling.

It's with another object(2) with simmilar texture and most likely both are separated from its original resting ground, as typhoon generated current pushes it to shallower water.

To describe the object;

Specimen one - Object is much larger than a Party plate. It had a perfect facial image of a horse on either sides. As it is, Object doesn't appear like land horse, since it DOESN'T HAD large eye socket, large Ears, neither traces of tightly closed large mouth couldn't be found. Instead, specimen HAD small eye socket, comb like bulge on top of the head and there seem like gill hole closer to the neck. As per traits in it, i suspect that Specimen is a (Pigmy) SEAHORSE ...... Note; As pictures details the likely muscles that shrunk smaller and closer to to skull, can i ask? Is there possibilty that Object came about and fossilized in Medussa-effect simmilar to SQUID SAC found in UK?

Specimen Two - This has simmilar texture as above. Out of curiousity to find out what might it be made of. I cut an end with a stone cutting tool. As observed, the inside of the stone is very dense and smooth like glazed tiles. Also, i noted a faded yellow like pigment surrounding the hole in the center..., As it is, as there's not much hole to be seen, plus its' dense composition inside make the object heavy, I conclude, object is not coral. What might this be?

I hope the above is a Fossil SEAHORSE. Thanks for taking time and best wishes.

Nothing to do with "sea horse" (if ever existed :blink: ). What you actually have here, as far as I can see, is a piece of a rock called BIOCALCARENITE, a rock made by the attachment of fine grains of biological origin (coral) sand in tropical environment.

Sorry!

Don't give up!!! I know at least I have if not everyone who was once new to fossils have brought home piles of neatly shaped (fossils)just to find out later I brought home a rock. My yard is littered with such finds.I still to this day bring home neat finds just to clean them up and chunk them in the back yard lol.What you need to do is what I did find all the books you can on your particular area. Be sure to ask questions I found older fishermen knew right where to find shells on the banks of the river here, they were stumped as to why the shells were there and did not know they were fossils. I also found that if you watch the flow of the current I have always found the bigger fossils in the stronger current(my guess is they are heavier and dont wash to the sides as easy) Also if you don't know what it is be sure to ask. I threw many fossils down just to learn later what they were. Be sure to always have fun and be safe!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

Don't give up!!! I know at least I have if not everyone who was once new to fossils have brought home piles of neatly shaped (fossils)just to find out later I brought home a rock. My yard is littered with such finds.I still to this day bring home neat finds just to clean them up and chunk them in the back yard lol.What you need to do is what I did find all the books you can on your particular area. Be sure to ask questions I found older fishermen knew right where to find shells on the banks of the river here, they were stumped as to why the shells were there and did not know they were fossils. I also found that if you watch the flow of the current I have always found the bigger fossils in the stronger current(my guess is they are heavier and dont wash to the sides as easy) Also if you don't know what it is be sure to ask. I threw many fossils down just to learn later what they were. Be sure to always have fun and be safe!!

Thanks for reminding me that I have a bag of rocks still sitting in my car waiting for me. I brought them home from my last trip out, so I could check them out in my spare time. I think one is a bone, not sure what the others are (if anything). I've asked a lot of questions about various rocks and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future! Our brooks in NJ have lots of rocks with some really strange shapes that you'd swear were something or other....