Shark jaw attempt

rebu

Since I am finished with my shark vertebrae cluster I have decided to start on a shadow box for my otodus obliquus tooth set but my daughter insists on a jaw. So here I am trying to make a jaw but oh boy it's not easy since I have never done anything like that. The fact that I am working only with photos doesn't help much either but what you would not do for your kids :). Did enyone here made a jaw before? Any suggestions? I am not trying to scientifically reconstruct an otodus jaw, I am just after a nice display piece.

received_2226540144286229.jpeg

received_237993720480288.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

31 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What material are you making that out of?

Spray on foam :) I made wire frame and now I am spraying the foam on it, when is hard I carve it. It's surprisingly strong and I like the fact that is very light.

• I found this Informative 2

That looks really good so far. You’re on the right path. The bones for the manufactured “fossil” skeletons I have seen in the past were carved from foam blocks to the rough shape and then covered in clay to give proper shape and texture.

• I found this Informative 2

48 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That looks really good so far. You’re on the right path. The bones for the manufactured “fossil” skeletons I have seen in the past were carved from foam blocks to the rough shape and then covered in clay to give proper shape and texture.

Thanks, I am planning to do something similar but on the end I think I will use thin layer of plaster, that's if I don't give up Michaelangelo I am not, that's for sure :D Do you think hot glue gun will be ok for the teeth? I don't want to damage them with some permanent glue.

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

Quite ambitious if you ask me and lookin purty good too.  I wish the best of luck.

RB

Thank you, ambitious is the right word here :)

• I found this Informative 1

Blimey, what a project. 

Ambitious indeed, and rather messy.

I'd be interested to see how it progresses. 

Good luck.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Blimey, what a project. 

Ambitious indeed, and rather messy.

I'd be interested to see how it progresses. 

Good luck.:)

Thanks, I post more pics as it goes. You are right about the messy part. When I got upstairs for lunch my wife was walking around picking up stuff from the carpet complaining and asking what it was. I told her that we have kids for a long time now and that she should be used to it but blaming it on kids backfired when my daughter told her to go see what I am doing downstairs. Man I miss the time when they couldn't not talk yet, my daughter is 17 now and learned how to talk already so she does. Too much sometimes :D

34 minutes ago, rebu said:

Do you think hot glue gun will be ok for the teeth? I don't want to damage them with some permanent glue.

That will work. It should peel off as long as the roots aren’t too porous.

You can also use Paraloid if you have a way to tie them in place as it drys. This would be 100% reversible.

20 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That will work. It should peel off as long as the roots aren’t too porous.

You can also use Paraloid if you have a way to tie them in place as it drys. This would be 100% reversible.

Thanks, yes I have Paraloid here and I was thinking about it as well but I am worried about the acetone getting through to the foam and that will be a disaster. 

1 hour ago, rebu said:

Thanks, yes I have Paraloid here and I was thinking about it as well but I am worried about the acetone getting through to the foam and that will be a disaster. 

If you use an epoxy clay as your outer layer on the sculpture, it won’t cause issues for the foam.

13 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If you use an epoxy clay as your outer layer on the sculpture, it won’t cause issues for the foam.

That's great, I will prefer to use Paraloid. I will see if I can get epoxy clay here. Thanks for advice. 

1 hour ago, rebu said:

That's great, I will prefer to use Paraloid. I will see if I can get epoxy clay here. Thanks for advice. 

I like Apoxie Sculpt personally. Magic Sculpt and Paleo Sculpt are also popular.

I made some progress on my jaw, what a crazy project but with minus 8 degrees outside and no fossils to work on what else will you do then build a shark jaw :D it's taking time and it's kind of frustrating work if you lack the experience. It's more of an experiment then a project. Can't wait when the teeth are in, right now it looks like my Otodus was just chewing on marshmallows :)

20190223_160711.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

5 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That looks really good so far. The rare O. sansdentitioni!

:D covering the foam with some sculpting paste, looks and feels like a plaster when is dry. Found the magic sculpt as you suggested but it is selling for a crazy price here. Hopefully this works on the end.

58 minutes ago, rebu said:

:D covering the foam with some sculpting paste, looks and feels like a plaster when is dry. Found the magic sculpt as you suggested but it is selling for a crazy price here. Hopefully this works on the end.

I’m sure it will work just fine. 

I like it.  A few years ago, I did a similar thing with a jigsaw and wood.  I used loose squalicorax teeth I had collected from the same formation.  Yours will be way cooler than mine!

20190223_121132.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

On 2/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, Ramo said:

I like it.  A few years ago, I did a similar thing with a jigsaw and wood.  I used loose squalicorax teeth I had collected from the same formation.  Yours will be way cooler than mine!

20190223_121132.jpg

Very nice, like the idea of making it out of wood. This is what I am after, a nice way to display the teeth. I was thinking about just putting them in to the shadow box but then my daughter suggested to try this. I really like what you did well done, now lets see how mine comes out. There is always the shadow box option :)

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

Nice work! It's coming along beautifully. 

Thank you, can't wait to see how is it going to look like when is finished.

You mentioned that you are finished with your "shark vertebra cluster" I must have missed that, and vant find it.  Can you post that, or post a link to it?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

1 hour ago, Ramo said:

You mentioned that you are finished with your "shark vertebra cluster" I must have missed that, and vant find it.  Can you post that, or post a link to it?

Of course, here it is

I love this set of teeth and it's a shame to put them in the jaw the right way. They are just so much nicer from the back :)

20190224_124843.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-123726_Gallery.jpg