Cretaceous bivalve?

Steven Haggerty

Hi all,

I've been spending time walking the beach at Compton, Isle of Wight, UK. I came across this fossil when I was sat down after walking 2 miles

and finding nothing! I've not cleaned it up yet.

All of the beach is of the cretaceous era, and was found at the Western end of the beach. I've found various Aptian age finds nearby previously.

I've looked online,but nothing I've seen has the very symmetrical shape and close together ridges that this has.

I'd appreciate any help with this!

Many thanks,

Steve.

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

Edited by Steven Haggerty

I agree with Natalie, that's a really nice bivalve you found, well done! If you have the tools, I would try prepping it :) 

Making a good ID will be difficult, as we cannot see the hinge. But, after doing some Google searches, I'm wondering if Corbis (Sphaera) corrugata might be the answer? Looks kinda similar to me, even though your specimen does seem surprisingly high (might just be because the pic is distorted). This would indicate Atherfield Clay Formation (link), which is Aptian as you mentioned. 

Picture from Google:

CorbisC.png.da43213ee2fa768f856d56a5e9665060.png

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Steven Haggerty said:

Thanks both, I reckon that could be it! I'll give it a clean up and see what that reveals.

You're welcome. Try to clean it gently with water and a tootbrush. I think this must do the job

Natalie 

8 hours ago, Steven Haggerty said:

Thanks both, I reckon that could be it! I'll give it a clean up and see what that reveals.

I'm interested in the result! :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils