Lepidodendron (?) Bark

PMA

Nope. It could be an impression left by a slightly deeper layer of cortex, but I think it could easily be a form of ripple pattern.

Bark (periderm) would be more well defined and have other features (leaf scar, ligule pit. . )within the pattern.

I am guessing (don't bet on me being correct) this might be Lepidodendron with some of its outer layers missing. If so, this layer might be the state known as 'Bergeria' as finer definition is missing.

'A similar situation is found in the lepidodendrid trunks; these casts have different appearances according to the depth of decay before fossilization. Successively deeper layers are given the names Aspidiaria, Bergeria , Knorria, and Aspidiopsis.'

You might wish to search for photos of Lepidodendron in the other states and further compare characteristics.

image.png.3c07422d183a9820bc852c0c6cb49c47.png

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Bet students would hate to get that question in finals. :)

The diagram put me to thinking how much diameter& volume might be lost with each decortication.

The specimens I am finding tend to be in the Knorria stage and are still pushing toward 24" in diameter for the largest.

It is a good thing we get to do this for fun and not grades. 

• I found this Informative 1