Going to Mazon Creek! Tips?

Darwin and Wallace

Hey everybody, I'm planning on going to do a day's worth of nodule collecting at Mazon Creek in a few weeks with a buddy of mine. Any tips on where to go? Also, anyone know of a hotel that's reasonably close to where we can start collecting? Thanks for any and all tips!

• I found this Informative 1

I am not home right now, but if you search Mazon Creek in the Fossil Hunting Trip section you will see posts that I put up as well as other members. Sorry but I do not know how to link those things, but they are easy to find. You could also do a search on the Internet for the Braidwood-Mazonia State Fish and Wildlife Area. I usually do not go in to the boat ramp area on 6000N because I don’t have a boat- lol, but you can walk to your right (when looking at the cooling lake) and continue down the gravel road for quite a bit until it vends left. I use to spend tons of time in that area years past. Now I drive to 5000N and turn left and collect in that area. If you find a post that I put up a couple years ago called something like “Opening Day at Pit 11 or Mazo Creek” - I forget the title- you will see the area I collect, including the Tipple area.

The season opens on March 1st and I know there are little non-franchise type hotels in the area, but you would be better off if you stayed at a “normal” hotel.

Good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks very much for this! I'll check out those posts. Thanks also for recommending to not stay at the local motels. I was wondering about that.

54 minutes ago, Darwin and Wallace said:

Thanks very much for this! I'll check out those posts. Thanks also for recommending to not stay at the local motels. I was wondering about that.

They could be fine, but I always like staying in more established motels.