badfish182

Plant fossil

badfish182

I have searched since I found this, to figure out exactly what it is.  Nobody that I have talked to has been able to for sure ID it.  I found it while searching for crinoid fossils at a beach near Michigan City, Indiana, in Lake Michigan.  I was swimming around, picking up anything I found, taking a look, and I tossed this one up on the beach.  We were guessing that it may be the bulb part of a crinoid, but I haven't found anything online that looks exactly like this one.  We used dental tools to pick out some of the sandy stuff, so we could see more detail.  My hand is not in the picture for size reference, rather, I had to hold it upright to get more picture angles.  My mom took this fossil to a rock show, and people were amazed by it, though they couldn't identify exactly what it is.  Some said it is a once in a lifetime find.  If it can't be ID'd here, I will likely take it to the university I attend, or a museum.  My dinosaur class professor wasn't entirely sure about it either.  I would really like to know exactly what it is.  Thanks in advance for any help!  I look forward to contributing to these forums!

Fossil 1.JPG

Fossil 2.JPG

Fossil 3.JPG

Fossil 4.JPG

JohnBrewer

I’m thinking geological rather than biological. What say you Tony? @ynot

Rockwood

I think it's a sponge that was attached to a crinoid stem.

abyssunder

I believe it's a geodized crinoid.

ynot

Looks like one of the geodized fossils that can be found in the tri-state area. Not sure if they can be found around the great lakes area.

Often these types of geodes are too distorted to make a good ID. What Rockwood said is as good a possibility as any.

Edit.. Abyssunder has another good possibility.

abyssunder

Take a look at specimen 5 from plate XXIV, from this older topic.

Rockwood

11 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I believe it's a geodized crinoid.

Stretching the definition of geode a might isn't it ? It does change the perspective though.

The similarity of the pattern in second photo to that in the first does suggest the pattern is a poorly preserved feature rather than a mold left from attachment.

ynot
1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Stretching the definition of geode a might isn't it ?

Do a google search for "midwestern sedimentary type geodes"

Rockwood
2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Do a google search for "midwestern sedimentary type geodes"

Too close to my bedtime, but I'll take your word for it. :)

ynot
7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Too close to my bedtime, but I'll take your word for it. :)

Well, that is a first!:P:rofl::rofl:

badfish182

Thanks for the info, everyone!  I really appreciate it

abyssunder
18 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Stretching the definition of geode a might isn't it ? It does change the perspective though.

The similarity of the pattern in second photo to that in the first does suggest the pattern is a poorly preserved feature rather than a mold left from attachment.

The silica replacement in this kind of fossil make them inflated and almost unrecognizable, but I think we are dealing with geodized crinoid columnal.

5c69dfdc30efd_THEFORMATIONOFGEODESWITHREMARKSONTHESILICIFICATIONOFFOSSILS-RayS.Bassler_2.thumb.jpg.2a22e2a008e578742153fb0b5909d1c3.jpg5c69e001309c1_THEFORMATIONOFGEODESWITHREMARKSONTHESILICIFICATIONOFFOSSILS-RayS.Bassler_1.thumb.jpg.b9b2d825b127277c91f052ebee0259d5.jpg

Rockwood

Looks like an extreme case of the bends ?

Seriously. Gas release on sharp pressure drop ?

abyssunder
9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Looks like an extreme case of the bends ?

Seriously. Gas release on sharp pressure drop

If the specimen is transported material (and it looks like that) the geodized patterns might have a pronounced pattern due to the weathering.

Herb

I agree with geodized crinoid calyx.

abyssunder
35 minutes ago, Herb said:

I agree with geodized crinoid calyx.

I would disagree with crinoid calix (although, two times I was fooled by the pentameral character) according to the patterns, but it might be just my understanding related to R. S. Bassler's relevant document, here for reference. :)

Herb

I have found dozens of crinoids that look like that from the Ft Payne formation around L.Cumberland, KY. Some as big as hardballs.

abyssunder

I believe you with respect, Herb, but in the case of crinoid calyx, where are the polygonal plates or the mineral growths between supposed polygonal dislocated plates characteristic to crinoid cup in diagenetical transformation? :headscratch: