facehugger

Well, I returned from my West Texas hiatus a few days ago, and have had time to process some of my finds. These were primarily found in the Terlingua area. Some ammonites - not sure if any prep work can expose more on these. Also some belemnitella, I think, and possibly a crab? Please let me know your thoughts. 

I believe these came from the Boquillas formation, but I am not entirely certain. There is a LOT of rock in West Texas. 

20190217_173745.thumb.jpg.3bda6e1ff6ba8f3f082be6f2f10c1034.jpg

20190217_173659.thumb.jpg.e38d113a1647b847e3f2b00165b73f0e.jpg

20190217_173843.thumb.jpg.162832538adcfcf6d0a95205cc8dfb8d.jpg

20190217_173912.thumb.jpg.e77b690a99656ed23897411867f7459a.jpg

20190217_173951.thumb.jpg.8210cf1bc22fa0045c4ac6a5bbcf3793.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

9 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very interesting finds!:)

The heteromorphs in particular.

Hmmm so you are leaning to heteromorph ammonite rather than belemnitella? I considered both, but wasn't really sure...

The one in the top right of the first photo seems to be a belemnite.

The one in the second picture, for example, is an heteromorph ammonite similar in design to this one from the web.

image.jpeg.3f62ee180ce6d92c6b4a33418598b249.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well done.  Allocrioceras hazzardi. I found some in the Boquillas Flags years ago near  Study Butte, prob same zone.  Same horizon as Worthoceras and Metoicoceras, so I’m assuming equivalent to the Upper Britton of DFW.  I also got what I think were a few Belemnites.  

The rest of the club stayed in a valley while I billy goated some mountainsides solo...found so much I had to high grade just to fit it all in my pack.  Twas a slow and top heavy descent.  Nothing was found in the valley.

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

23 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Well done.  Allocrioceras hazzardi. I found some in the Boquillas Flags years ago near  Study Butte, prob same zone.  Same horizon as Worthoceras and Metoicoceras, so I’m assuming equivalent to the Upper Britton of DFW.  I also got what I think were a few Belemnites.  

The rest of the club stayed in a valley while I billy goated some mountainsides solo...found so much I had to high grade just to fit it all in my pack.  Twas a slow and top heavy descent.  Nothing was found in the valley.

Cool! Thanks. That was my experience also. The sides and tops of the hills were plentiful, but the valleys and gorges were sparse. 

Any thoughts on the last piece?

19 minutes ago, facehugger said:

Cool! Thanks. That was my experience also. The sides and tops of the hills were plentiful, but the valleys and gorges were sparse. 

Any thoughts on the last piece?

Not sure what to make of that last piece.  Here are some I found in the capstone.  The last thing I found down in the valley.  Not sure of fm, but it was the only thing I found down low.

Boquillas Allocrioceras9 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras8 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras7 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras6 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras5 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras4 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras3 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras2 031806.jpg

Boquillas Allocrioceras1 031806.jpg

Boquillas Worthoceras vermiculus Allocrioceras hazzardi 031806.jpg

Boquillas Baculite2 031806.jpg

Boquillas Baculite 031806.jpg

Boquillas Ammonite2 031806.jpg

Boquillas Metoicoceras 031806.jpg

Boquillas Worthoceras vermiculus2 031806.jpg

Boquillas Ammonite1 031806.jpg

Boquillas Verts Ribs 031806.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Grüße,

57 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Not sure what to make of that last piece.  Here are some I found in the capstone.  The last thing I found down in the valley.  Not sure of fm, but it was the only thing I found down low.

Wow, those are definitely from the same location. You have some pretty good ones. I tried to look for other organisms, but the ammonites seemed by far the most abundant fossils...

Great finds! Do you know what the mineral replacement is? Looks like calcite or quartz?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Great finds! Do you know what the mineral replacement is? Looks like calcite or quartz?

Thank you! I haven't tested to see if calcite, but seems likely. What do you think, @Uncle Siphuncle?

Guessing calcite, but never tested.

Grüße,

11 hours ago, Monica said:

What interesting preservation on those ammonites and belemnites!  Awesome finds!!! 

Thank you!

21 hours ago, Darktooth said:

11 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Guessing calcite, but never tested.

Didn't have any cleaning vinegar around, but did note that I could scratch the mineral with fingernail...

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Gorgeous stuff there! Wow... Thinking that last one might be a turtle.

My thought at the time as well.

Grüße,

The replacement mineral is most likely calcite. Beautiful finds! If you get a chance, East Needle Peak near Terlingua produces some very interesting specimens, too. It's also unique in that it contains seven (if memory serves) geologic eras because of the way the crust has moved at that location. There's a rockhound who regularly hosts guided trips onto private property out there.

• I found this Informative 2