Any ideas of what this is

Hue Cofa

Anyone have any insight to whether this may be a fossilized claw of some sort or just a peculiar shaped piece of limestone. I found this in central Texas outside of Bandera. Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_20190217_111638641.jpg

IMG_20190217_111652540.jpg

Looks like a peculiar chunk of limestone to me. Good eye though. Keep looking!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

22 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Looks like a peculiar chunk of limestone to me. Good eye though. Keep looking!

Agreed, suggestively shaped piece of limestone. My rule when fossil hunting is pick everything up that looks like it could be something and inspect it.

While I agree that this is most likely just a piece of limestone, bandera can have some nice fossils, that area should be mostly Glen Rose formation (upper and lower). I suggest you look up fossils from that area and look at the USGS geology map of Texas.

• I found this Informative 1

There are sauropod tracks and a tail swipe in a river bed at a ranch down the road from where this was found. They cut one track out and it is at the Smithsonian.  I thought it looked similar in shape to a sauropod claw fossil I googled but probably not...