Do dinosaur tracks from Connecticut and Massachusetts come from the Portland Formation?

-Andy-

Hi all, I have a pair of dino tracks. The left one is a Grallator sp. from the Connecticut River Valley. The right one is an Anomoepus scambus from Granby, Massachusetts.

I've been trying to figure out their formation. I know they come from the Newark Supergroup. I would like to narrow it down. Do they come from the Portland Formation?

52599181_10216124842212093_3706891539083952128_o.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Passaic Formation, I think is found in NJ, Mass. and Conn. and features dino prints. Triassic

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

In Massachusetts, (Deerfield Basin), the Portland Formation is the source for dinosaur footprints.

In Connecticut, ( Hartford Basin)  The Portland and East Berlin formations are the main sources for dinosaur footprints.

The Shuttle Meadow Formation (Hartford Basin)does produce dinosaur prints, but not nearly in the abundance or density of the other two Formations.

I'll have to check the other two areas, the Pomperaug and Cherry Valley Outliers, to see if they produce dino prints at all, but I  think they would be a nominal source at best. 

The Passaic doesn't outcrop in Connecticut, at all.  

EDIT: The "Connecticut River Valley" runs from Connecticut's coast on Long Island Sound, all the way up to Canada.

download.jpg

For paleontological context, the sedimentary formations stop outcropping in Turner's Falls, Massachusetts. 

ctma1.jpg

With that said, I would say both of yours come from Massachusetts, USA, Newark Supergroup, Deerfield Basin, Portland Formation. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

46 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

In Massachusetts, (Deerfield Basin), the Portland Formation is the source for dinosaur footprints.

In Connecticut, ( Hartford Basin)  The Portland and East Berlin formations are the main sources for dinosaur footprints.

The Shuttle Meadow Formation (Hartford Basin)does produce dinosaur prints, but not nearly in the abundance or density of the other two Formations.

I'll have to check the other two areas, the Pomperaug and Cherry Valley Outliers, to see if they produce dino prints at all, but I  think they would be a nominal source at best. 

The Passaic doesn't outcrop in Connecticut, at all.  

EDIT: The "Connecticut River Valley" runs from Connecticut's coast on Long Island Sound, all the way up to Canada.

download.jpg

For paleontological context, the sedimentary formations stop outcropping in Turner's Falls, Massachusetts. 

ctma1.jpg

With that said, I would say both of yours come from Massachusetts, USA, Newark Supergroup, Deerfield Basin, Portland Formation. 

Great info Tim, thank you!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

5 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Great info Tim, thank you!

;) 

@-Andy-

EDIT: I forgot to mention, all of the fossil bearing formations in Connecticut and Massachusetts are  Early Jurassic (Hettangian) in age. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice footprints! :)

Thank you! I love them because they aren't heavily painted like many of the ones in the market.

@Fossildude19 Tim,

Thanks for the informative response and especially for correcting my belief that "Passaic" was associated with all East coast dino tracks. The irony is I have quite a few of then scattered about Palacial snolly Manor. ( I really like that type of fossil). Now I will have to dig back in my records for each piece and determine; If I have the correct geological info on each based on their point of origin. I am hopelng they are accurately attributed.  However, if they are the mystery remains how I was certain "Passaic" was the correct answer. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

8 hours ago, snolly50 said:

@Fossildude19 Tim,

Thanks for the informative response and especially for correcting my belief that "Passaic" was associated with all East coast dino tracks. The irony is I have quite a few of then scattered about Palacial snolly Manor. ( I really like that type of fossil). Now I will have to dig back in my records for each piece and determine; If I have the correct geological info on each based on their point of origin. I am hopelng they are accurately attributed.  However, if they are the mystery remains how I was certain "Passaic" was the correct answer. 

Happy to help. :) 

It's easy to confuse the Passaic Formation with Newark Supergroup, if it is only of passing interest.

Things get stuck in my head all the time that are wrong, or slightly off. 

I blame it on my memory going. :rolleyes: 

Beautiful tracks Andy and interesting information added to this thread.

I have a French grallator track that is probably my favourite fossil in my collection.  Bobby 

18 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Hi all, I have a pair of dino tracks. The left one is a Grallator sp. from the Connecticut River Valley. The right one is an Anomoepus scambus from Granby, Massachusetts.

I've been trying to figure out their formation. I know they come from the Newark Supergroup. I would like to narrow it down. Do they come from the Portland Formation?

Nice tracks Andy! I want to find some nice pieces with cool impressions soon :)

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png