T-rex Teeth Verification

CSimpson176

For context, I have received these photos from the shop that I have done business with previously. I want to ensure that these are rex teeth and not another genus. I acknowledge that these pictures do not show the base of the teeth which seems to be the tell tale differentiation, in addition to measurements of scale and so on. Therefore, I just would like to see the opinions of those on the forum with the pictures provided, I wish I was able to take more appropriate photos of the specimens. Tooth #1 strikes me as a likely rex candidate simply because of the robustness, #2 I'm not so sure. Not an expert on theropod teeth by any means. Thank you all!

(The 98 million year old age is a typo, they have a more expensive tooth with the appropriate age of 68 million years)

67877D34-6431-4BA2-8B01-95AB53330BED.jpeg

E0FFF8A3-0AF8-4D73-8415-9EE950B885F8.jpeg

One should not identify teeth in glass riker boxes.  You need good closeup photos of both sides and one of the base, outside the box . The top tooth might be one, uncertain of the other.    Impossible to determine if any work has been done to it or how the serrations are which affects quality and price.

• I found this Informative 6

@Troodon Noted. Again I realize that the pictures provided aren't to the standards for proper ID, I was just curious as to perhaps if anything could be found or said of them. Nonetheless thank you for the input!

What can be said based on the information provided is that they are Tyrannosaurid teeth from the Hell Creek Formation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Bigger teeth are usually easier to identify or assign to T-Rex, however as mentioned by Troodon without close ups or better photographs it can be hard to link it to a specific dinosaur. One thing to bare in mind as well is that Tyrannosaurus Rex teeth will always fetch a much higher rate. Ask the seller to send you close up photos, showing sides, serrations and base etc, perhaps some next to a ruler as well. This shouldn't be a problem, however is they are not willing to do this I would walk away. :)

• I found this Informative 3

I'll be sure to get into contact with them again and see if they can do just that! On the phone it sounded like they were busy, but hey, if they want to more likely make a sale, the customer must be satisfied especially with such a price :ighappy:  Definitely won't be making any purchases until I know for sure what I'm getting!

17 minutes ago, CSimpson176 said:

I'll be sure to get into contact with them again and see if they can do just that! On the phone it sounded like they were busy, but hey, if they want to more likely make a sale, the customer must be satisfied especially with such a price :ighappy:  Definitely won't be making any purchases until I know for sure what I'm getting!

Good shout, that will help us to better identify the tooth, keep us updated :)