3” C. hastalis tooth with restored tip for trade

britishcanuk

I got this tooth and didn’t realize it had restoration done to the tip. I don’t collect restored teeth so am offering it up for trade for other shark teeth. Let me know what you have, I’m open to offers. Especially interested in (but not limited to) Cretaceous teeth.

64517F61-63DC-42DB-80D3-2E689F90812E.jpeg

54C02A15-E71F-463D-BAA6-DA0FC7972D83.jpeg

C93EEFF5-2F0B-4668-8AEF-FE5A46A12CC5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice, thanks for fixing the pics!

I am hoping to find one this size.  I just know it's got to be in the next matrix clump I turn over! :fingerscrossed:

At some point you should post pics of all those wonderful  sharkteeth in your collection........Please and Thank-you.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

At some point you should post pics of all those wonderful  sharkteeth in your collection........Please and Thank-you.:)

Hi darktooth,

i have posted quite a few on Instagram under the username sharksunlimited. Cheers!

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

@britishcanuk where is it from? Do you know the formation?

I have the data on my computer, I will post it later on when I get a minute to retrieve it.

24 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

Cool, also can you take a clear pic of the tip and draw a line where the restoration begins? Thanks

I bought it under the impression that it was all

natural so not clear on the amount of restoration it has, but will see if I can make out exactly where it was restored when I get home tonight. I’ll also take more photos.

9 minutes ago, britishcanuk said:

I bought it under the impression that it was all

natural so not clear on the amount of restoration it has, but will see if I can make out exactly where it was restored when I get home tonight. I’ll also take more photos.

How d id you find it had been restored? Is it quite obvious?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

2 hours ago, Wolf89 said:

Cool, also can you take a clear pic of the tip and draw a line where the restoration begins? Thanks

I think I see where the tooth becomes more gray towards the tip - more on the mesial edge than the distal.

Yeah,  i don't like restored teeth in general but sometimes it's done to fill in cracks or connect broken-off pieces.  I understand it for something like a large dinosaur tooth or a megalodon (something for display) and certainly for bones heavier than their length can withstand but I'd rather have a shark tooth be natural and beat-up than fixed-up.

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/18/2019 at 6:04 PM, siteseer said:

I think I see where the tooth becomes more gray towards the tip - more on the mesial edge than the distal.

Yeah,  i don't like restored teeth in general but sometimes it's done to fill in cracks or connect broken-off pieces.  I understand it for something like a large dinosaur tooth or a megalodon (something for display) and certainly for bones heavier than their length can withstand but I'd rather have a shark tooth be natural and beat-up than fixed-up.

I agree!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg