coelophysis teeth from bull canyon

Pterygotus

Please refer to the post here which discusses this already.

I don't believe they fit the characteristics that describe a Coelophysid tooth.   See the end of the topic below where Troodon looked at this type of tooth.   The teeth are from the BC Fm however Coelophysis is also not described from that fauna.   Small triassic teeth are not very expensive and a nice addition to any collection so if you like it go for it. These ones you have posted are nice :)

If you are interested I created a post a while back with teeth in my collection that are similar to the ones in your pictures.

• I found this Informative 3

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

@Troodon put together a great post about the teeth from Bull Canyon. I found it very helpful. If you search for it you can probably find it faster than I can link it.

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Please refer to the post here which discusses this already.

I dont believe they fit the characteristics that describe a Coelophysid tooth.   See the end of the attached topic where I looked at this of this type of tooth.   The teeth are from the BC Fm however Coelophysis is also not described from that fauna.   Small triassic teeth are not very expensive and a nice addition to any collection

@Jaimin013 posted the one that I was referring to.

• I found this Informative 1

43 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

How do these coelophysis teeth from bull canyon look?

I question if these type of teeth are dinosaurian but have nothing scientific to say one way or another.  Definitively not Coelophysis the morphology does not work.

• I found this Informative 3

@Pterygotus Can you provide a scale bar of them? These teeth do not seem to be from any dinosaur, as @Troodon stated.  With an idea of size an ID might be possible, they could be from a squamate, (lizards, snakes etc) but am not confident with any ID till the size is clear. 

5 minutes ago, CBchiefski said:

@Pterygotus Can you provide a scale bar of them? These teeth do not seem to be from any dinosaur, as @Troodon stated.  With an idea of size an ID might be possible, they could be from a squamate, (lizards, snakes etc) but am not confident with any ID till the size is clear. 

Looking at the Seller listing he does not state size just that they are a few mm.   The ones I have are around 4 mm

4 minutes ago, CBchiefski said:

They are tiny about 3mm to 4mm . 

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Looking at the Seller listing he does not state size just that they are a few mm.   The ones I have are around 4 mm

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

They are tiny about 3mm to 4mm . 

Thanks, am not sure in that case, a multitude of small reptiles existed at the time. Ironically, about the only opinion I am confident enough to give is they are not Coelophysis. For the record, attached are examples of C. bauri teeth. From: http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/bulletins/id/3739/rec/18

C bauri teeth.JPG

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo
  • I found this Informative 2

17 minutes ago, CBchiefski said:

Thanks, am not sure in that case,

Yes no problem. Their are few vendors selling them in UK . As Jamie said they cost very little for a small Triassic Tooth. I think they are a good addition to a collection. 

11 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

The teeth are 3 to 4mm long