Darktooth's Wish List

Darktooth

I figured I would give it a try. You all know I love my sharkteeth. There are two that I really would like to get my hands on. Otodus obliquus and a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis. I am looking for these teeth from any U.S. locations such as Purse state park or Douglas Point. I am not looking for big teeth or perfect but preferably something of good quality. If anyone out there has extras and doesn't mind letting go of one please contact me. Maybe we could make a deal. I have mostly other sharkteeth for trade but have other items as well. 

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Palaeocarcharodon orientalis

Hey Dave,

I have a P. orientalis from Morocco but none unfortunately from the US.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Good luck ... it took me forever to find a pristine Otodus from the East Coast.  Not a common tooth in that condition.

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hey Dave,

I have a P. orientalis from Morocco but none unfortunately from the US.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Good luck ... it took me forever to find a pristine Otodus from the East Coast.  Not a common tooth in that condition.

Hi Brett,  I do have both an Otodus and Paleocarcharodon, both from Moracco, and both in nice condition. I was hoping to get some from a US location as most of my collection is US material. I am still holding out hope that I will find my own some day but until then I was hoping to get something to fill a space till then.  Not a big deal if i can't. I will just have to get my Trilo- butt down there and find one myself. I realize that finding someone willing to trade these will probably be tough but maybe I can use my charm and win someone over. :D If not maybe I can whine and pout until someone feels bad for me.:rofl:

You know, drastic times call for drastic measures.B)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

25 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

You know, drastic times call for drastic measures.

Haha .. well good luck you might wanna put on your dancing shoes.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Haha .. well good luck you might wanna put on your dancing shoes.

giphy.gif

How did you know those were my dance moves?:rofl:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

58 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

How did you know those were my dance moves?:rofl:

Son, if those are your best moves, you are in trouble! :blink:

Really feeling sorry for your dance partner with you bust'n out the "Dracula Cape Stare" move.

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Son, if those are your best moves, you are in trouble! :blink:

Really feeling sorry for your dance partner with you bust'n out the "Dracula Cape Stare" move.

How's this instead?:raindance:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Are those teeth found at the places you normally hunt at?  Might be difficult to find those teeth amongst the trilobites and Calvert Cliffs locations. :eyeroll:

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Are those teeth found at the places you normally hunt at?  Might be difficult to find those teeth amongst the trilobites and Calvert Cliffs locations. :eyeroll:

They are found along the shores of the Potomac, either at Purse state park or Douglas Point. I have only hunted each spot once. Over the years I had planned to hunt those locations only to veer off in the direction of Calvert Cliffs at the last possible second. From were I live it takes about just as long to get to either spot. Most of the ride is the same route till I get closer to DC. Sometimes the call of the Meg overpowers me. But I do want and need to hunt the Paleocene more then I have. If I don't get back to earning a paycheck soon, going on fossilhunts are going to be on the backburner for awhile.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You are waiting for them to move to another building correct?

They are all moved but they still don't have all the machinery up, running, inspected and signed off on. Right now most people have been called back except for the few unfortunates which "unfortunately" I am a part of. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I figured I would give it a try. You all know I love my sharkteeth. There are two that I really would like to get my hands on. Otodus obliquus and a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis. I am looking for these teeth from any U.S. locations such as Purse state park or Douglas Point. I am not looking for big teeth or perfect but preferably something of good quality. If anyone out there has extras and doesn't mind letting go of one please contact me. Maybe we could make a deal. I have mostly other sharkteeth for trade but have other items as well. 

Dave

Dave,

You should be able to get at least one of each from one of the Aquia regular collectors.  Palaeocarcharodon is listed as "relatively uncommon" from the Aquia on elasmo.com while Otodus is "common."  Of course, what's considered common (any identifiable partial) to a researcher might be uncommon to the collector looking for something at least mostly-complete.  The Otodus teeth tend to be small relative to Moroccan finds and the Palaeocarcharodon tend to small and have at least somewhat worn serrations.  You might try hunting Liverpool Point on your next trip unless that general locality has become off-limits.

The two genera are also known from a site in South Carolina but it was a temporary exposure in the early 90's  Not too many other sites for both in the U.S.  The Brightseat and Hornerstown are Early Paleocene - a little too old for them and the sites are hard to find or restricted/off-limits anyway.  I assume there are other possible Aquia sites in Maryland or Virginia but you'd have to wait for a construction project in just the right spot and then hope you can get permission to poke around or find out where they're dumping "the dirt.".

Jess 

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

Dave,

You should be able to get at least one of each from one of the Aquia regular collectors.  Palaeocarcharodon is listed as "relatively uncommon" from the Aquia on elasmo.com while Otodus is "common."  Of course, what's considered common (any identifiable partial) to a researcher might be uncommon to the collector looking for something at least mostly-complete.  The Otodus teeth tend to be small relative to Moroccan finds and the Palaeocarcharodon tend to small and have at least somewhat worn serrations.  You might try hunting Liverpool Point on your next trip unless that general locality has become off-limits.

The two genera are also known from a site in South Carolina but it was a temporary exposure in the early 90's  Not too many other sites for both in the U.S.  The Brightseat and Hornerstown are Early Paleocene - a little too old for them and the sites are hard to find or restricted/off-limits anyway.  I assume there are other possible Aquia sites in Maryland or Virginia but you'd have to wait for a construction project in just the right spot and then hope you can get permission to poke around or find out where they're dumping "the dirt.".

Jess 

Thanks for the info, Jess!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would like to say Thank-you to @sharkdoctor for responding to my request, and completing a fine trade. He went above and beyond the agreed upon trade. Instead of one Otodus, he sent 2, along with a Squatina prima, and a Pachygaleus lefevei. I appreciate his generosity and he will be receiving  some extras as soon as I can put something together. Thank-you Sir!:dinothumb::)

20190403_163347.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Very nice, Dave.:)

And once again forum members show their helpfulness and generosity. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Those are great Dave!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils