Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Darktooth

Very nice Tony! I like that the piece has some " history" to it.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
33 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Very nice Tony! I like that the piece has some " history" to it.:)

Thanks, Dave. It has some history and prehistory!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

Wow Tony it came out beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Wow Tony it came out beautiful.

Thank you, Ralph :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

Quite the creation!! I am willing to bet that there is no other Rosary on earth quite like what you have created. Great job.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
7 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Quite the creation!! I am willing to bet that there is no other Rosary on earth quite like what you have created. Great job.

 

Mike

Thank you, Mike.  I've always wanted to do one, and the opportunity to make it as a gift for an old friend provided the motivation.  Although I must admit it was a little tough to drop it in the mail today, moments after I completed it.  But, I'm sure her joy will make it more than worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

Does she have an interest in fossils? A Sister volunteers at the local nature park where I load the sand pit with fossils for the kids to find. She has a voracious appetite for paleontology and I give her sites to go collect at. She has found some nice things. maybe I should get creative for her!!! 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

Interesting! Some thought and meaning behind that one for sure.

It does look heavy, seeing the scale relative to that quarter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Does she have an interest in fossils? A Sister volunteers at the local nature park where I load the sand pit with fossils for the kids to find. She has a voracious appetite for paleontology and I give her sites to go collect at. She has found some nice things. maybe I should get creative for her!!! 

 

Mike

She loves to read my annual Christmas letter that summarizes all my collecting trips and activities over the year.  She seems to like all kinds of things (but she's definitely not a regular fossil hunter).  She's now at a convent in Wisconsin and I'm not sure if her age / health allows her to get out and do much.  I haven't seen her since circa 1997, but we keep in touch via mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

Wow! You sure did go to a lot of trouble to make that! Must be a special friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico

It is clearly both skilfully and lovingly crafted. The radiocarbon dated wood from a tree that was alive at the time of Jesus is a very poignant detail and I think your friend will appreciate this greatly. Beautiful  work Tony and a fantastic gift for your friend  .

all the best Bobby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
15 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Wow! You sure did go to a lot of trouble to make that! Must be a special friend.

 

14 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

It is clearly both skilfully and lovingly crafted. The radiocarbon dated wood from a tree that was alive at the time of Jesus is a very poignant detail and I think your friend will appreciate this greatly. Beautiful  work Tony and a fantastic gift for your friend  .

all the best Bobby 

Thank you.  I think I'm going to make another one for myself and try to incorporate something from each of the periods of the palaeozoic, starting with an Elrathia kingii as the centerpiece. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico
2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

 

Thank you.  I think I'm going to make another one for myself and try to incorporate something from each of the periods of the palaeozoic, starting with an Elrathia kingii as the centerpiece. :)

As an artist I always take great care with choosing material I use also I admire other works that do the same. Sounds like another nice project. The wood you used is really cool object in its own right.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
17 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

As an artist I always take great care with choosing material I use also I admire other works that do the same. Sounds like another nice project. The wood you used is really cool object in its own right.  :)

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the log from which the wood came.  It took all of a 30-ton hoist to pull it out.  We thought it might have been older, possibly interglacial, based on the fact that it was oak and buried so deeply.  When dealing in river-associated / manipulated deposits, depth is not the best indicator of age.  Luckily, the RC date set us straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico
8 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the log from which the wood came.  It took all of a 30-ton hoist to pull it out.  We thought it might have been older, possibly interglacial, based on the fact that it was oak and buried so deeply.  When dealing in river-associated / manipulated deposits, depth is not the best indicator of age.  Luckily, the RC date set us straight.

Wow massive please do I was going to ask you where you purchased it but that more interesting.  :dinothumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ancient Bones

That is unique Tony.  I’m sure Sister will love it and the history behind it. Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
8 minutes ago, Ancient Bones said:

That is unique Tony.  I’m sure Sister will love it and the history behind it. Well done!

Thank you very much :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow massive please do I was going to ask you where you purchased it but that more interesting.  :dinothumb:

Here you go.  This is me on top of the log.  And a pic giving some idea of its length.

 

20190220_210653.thumb.jpg.4dd0f162cfe0d05a614d5eaea5e83cc4.jpg

SBF-OAK-FossilOakJackson_Co-_IN2.thumb.jpg.a2d1d76e014b0a6825c1b0d9765e8cc7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

Awesome! You should have entered it into fossil of the month. How about doing a trade. Postage would be too expensive, so just bring it along if you make it to Minnesota this summer!!!

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

Awesome! You should have entered it into fossil of the month. How about doing a trade. Postage would be too expensive, so just bring it along if you make it to Minnesota this summer!!!

 

Mike

Lololololol.  Clark W. Griswold, hold my beer!

 

Screenshot_20190221-094437_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d9f7d04be40f85330477e7c6fde5ddd9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Beautiful! 

Sorry I'm a bit late, but I think this is very creative, imaginative and unique.

Lovely. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful! 

Sorry I'm a bit late, but I think this is very creative, imaginative and unique.

Lovely. :)

Thank you, Adam; most kind.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
On 2/21/2019 at 3:10 AM, Peat Burns said:

Here you go.  This is me on top of the log.  And a pic giving some idea of its length.

Amazing.:)

You're a very handsome fellow too.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazing.:)

You're a very handsome fellow too.;)

Bahahahaha!  :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×