Peat Burns

Here is a Rosary that I made of fossils for an elderly Dominican Sister friend.

The cross is late-Triassic petrified wood from the Chinle Group of New Mexico.

Jesus is carved from wood from a 50-ft log, with a diameter of nearly 5 ft, that was dredged from a depth of 40 ft in river-deposited sand and gravel in Indiana.  A sample from the outer part of the log was radiocarbon dated at 1,920 +/- 60 years BP.  The tree had over 300 rings, so would have been alive at the time of Jesus.

The Halo is a bivalve from the Plio-Pleistocene of Florida.

The center-piece is a Stropheodonta demissa brachiopod from the Middle Devonian of Ohio

The "Our Fathers" are Platystrophia ponderosa brachiopods from the Late Ordovician of Kentucky.  

The decades are matrix with inclusions of the calcareous marine alga formerly known as "Solenopora" (nom. Illeg.) from the late Ordovician of Kentucky.

The second photo has an American quarter dollar coin for scale.  Suffice it to say, this is a relatively large Rosary. 

Thanks for looking.:)

Resized_20190219_142412_3673.thumb.jpeg.bcbf6e84bdbd2b194b139e79f65d0860.jpeg

Resized_20190219_142221_6275.thumb.jpeg.582b2f8e2517fb1769304a45f64900b5.jpeg

Resized_20190219_141752_1783.thumb.jpeg.565214365e0dffd2858ec90d4c040994.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

33 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Very nice Tony! I like that the piece has some " history" to it.:)

Thanks, Dave. It has some history and prehistory!  :)

Quite the creation!! I am willing to bet that there is no other Rosary on earth quite like what you have created. Great job.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Quite the creation!! I am willing to bet that there is no other Rosary on earth quite like what you have created. Great job.

Mike

Thank you, Mike.  I've always wanted to do one, and the opportunity to make it as a gift for an old friend provided the motivation.  Although I must admit it was a little tough to drop it in the mail today, moments after I completed it.  But, I'm sure her joy will make it more than worth it.

Does she have an interest in fossils? A Sister volunteers at the local nature park where I load the sand pit with fossils for the kids to find. She has a voracious appetite for paleontology and I give her sites to go collect at. She has found some nice things. maybe I should get creative for her!!! 

Mike

Interesting! Some thought and meaning behind that one for sure.

It does look heavy, seeing the scale relative to that quarter!

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Does she have an interest in fossils? A Sister volunteers at the local nature park where I load the sand pit with fossils for the kids to find. She has a voracious appetite for paleontology and I give her sites to go collect at. She has found some nice things. maybe I should get creative for her!!! 

Mike

She loves to read my annual Christmas letter that summarizes all my collecting trips and activities over the year.  She seems to like all kinds of things (but she's definitely not a regular fossil hunter).  She's now at a convent in Wisconsin and I'm not sure if her age / health allows her to get out and do much.  I haven't seen her since circa 1997, but we keep in touch via mail.

It is clearly both skilfully and lovingly crafted. The radiocarbon dated wood from a tree that was alive at the time of Jesus is a very poignant detail and I think your friend will appreciate this greatly. Beautiful  work Tony and a fantastic gift for your friend  .

all the best Bobby 

15 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Wow! You sure did go to a lot of trouble to make that! Must be a special friend.

14 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

It is clearly both skilfully and lovingly crafted. The radiocarbon dated wood from a tree that was alive at the time of Jesus is a very poignant detail and I think your friend will appreciate this greatly. Beautiful  work Tony and a fantastic gift for your friend  .

all the best Bobby 

Thank you.  I think I'm going to make another one for myself and try to incorporate something from each of the periods of the palaeozoic, starting with an Elrathia kingii as the centerpiece. :)

2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Thank you.  I think I'm going to make another one for myself and try to incorporate something from each of the periods of the palaeozoic, starting with an Elrathia kingii as the centerpiece. :)

As an artist I always take great care with choosing material I use also I admire other works that do the same. Sounds like another nice project. The wood you used is really cool object in its own right.  :)

17 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

As an artist I always take great care with choosing material I use also I admire other works that do the same. Sounds like another nice project. The wood you used is really cool object in its own right.  :)

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the log from which the wood came.  It took all of a 30-ton hoist to pull it out.  We thought it might have been older, possibly interglacial, based on the fact that it was oak and buried so deeply.  When dealing in river-associated / manipulated deposits, depth is not the best indicator of age.  Luckily, the RC date set us straight.

8 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the log from which the wood came.  It took all of a 30-ton hoist to pull it out.  We thought it might have been older, possibly interglacial, based on the fact that it was oak and buried so deeply.  When dealing in river-associated / manipulated deposits, depth is not the best indicator of age.  Luckily, the RC date set us straight.

Wow massive please do I was going to ask you where you purchased it but that more interesting.  :dinothumb:

That is unique Tony.  I’m sure Sister will love it and the history behind it. Well done!

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

8 minutes ago, Ancient Bones said:

That is unique Tony.  I’m sure Sister will love it and the history behind it. Well done!

Thank you very much :)

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow massive please do I was going to ask you where you purchased it but that more interesting.  :dinothumb:

Here you go.  This is me on top of the log.  And a pic giving some idea of its length.

20190220_210653.thumb.jpg.4dd0f162cfe0d05a614d5eaea5e83cc4.jpg

SBF-OAK-FossilOakJackson_Co-_IN2.thumb.jpg.a2d1d76e014b0a6825c1b0d9765e8cc7.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Awesome! You should have entered it into fossil of the month. How about doing a trade. Postage would be too expensive, so just bring it along if you make it to Minnesota this summer!!!

Mike

1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

Awesome! You should have entered it into fossil of the month. How about doing a trade. Postage would be too expensive, so just bring it along if you make it to Minnesota this summer!!!

Mike

Lololololol.  Clark W. Griswold, hold my beer!

Screenshot_20190221-094437_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d9f7d04be40f85330477e7c6fde5ddd9.jpg

Beautiful! 

Sorry I'm a bit late, but I think this is very creative, imaginative and unique.

Lovely. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful! 

Sorry I'm a bit late, but I think this is very creative, imaginative and unique.

Lovely. :)

Thank you, Adam; most kind.:)

On 2/21/2019 at 3:10 AM, Peat Burns said:

Here you go.  This is me on top of the log.  And a pic giving some idea of its length.

Amazing.:)

You're a very handsome fellow too.;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 1 month later...

Very nice piece! It is evident that lots of thought and work went into making it, and I'm sure she will love it!

Do you take commissions ;)