Small velociraptorine Nuthetes hand/foot claw

Birdman

I found this lovely velociraptorine claw while searching my Wealden bone bed collection. I enjoyed taking these photos, they are some of the most striking images I have taken of a fossil I think.

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4388a.jpg

IMG_4374a.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Thank you for your comments and compliments everyone. 

TyBoy: It measures 5.5 mm. It's a preliminary id but there are only two known theropods it could belong to. And we have Nuthetes and Ashdown mainiraptor described from the Purbeck/Wealden, it could be either of those. Wyleyiia valdensis is considered a bird. It certainly is theropod dinosaur going by the morphology.No other theropods this size have been described from the mainland wealden. Have found several of these this size. As far as I know, they are possibly the smallest theropod claws ever found in the Wealden. The claw is very narrow and the blood groove (either side) is obvious. As we can rule out bird it only leaves small bird size theropod. I have seen images of bird claws and the ones I have seen are distinctly different to theropod. Going by its size, I have estimated the size of the animal to be about the size of a magpie. 

I have another surprise, another new find that should be of great interest. More later on that.

• I found this Informative 2

Yes, I'm finding that is the problem! Assuming it is adult, that it would be smaller than the smallest known theropod dinosaur and that is a problem. If someone can show me that Mesozoic bird claws can be similar to small theropods then bird would be a real possibility. It would be more exotic if it were bird.

1 hour ago, TyBoy said:

Given the size wouldn't one lean toward bird?

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

smaller than the smallest known theropod dinosaur

Birds are Avian Theropods, but I don't think this claw is avian. The "blood groove" is too pronounced, and the flexor protuberance too minimized for any known avian.

Maybe Fire Dragon? (an Anne McCaffrey reeference):P

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What a super find, nice detailed images. It could be a sub-adult ? Look forward to seeing your latest find Birdman 

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

Definitely cool.  Since you've found several this size its most likely from something close to or an adult.   It certainly could be something yet undescribed since weve only scratched the surface describing material. One cannot make the call it can only be described material.  Any chance of showing this to a local paleontologist/museum and see what they say.  If you found a few chances more will be found.

• I found this Informative 1

What Birdman is finding is probably a new species, if it's not sub-adult.  I doubt more will be found other than those that Birdman is searching for, as he has the most meticulous fossil eye !

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

Thanks guys - Troodon, Jonwealden and PaleoNoal. I have another one for you, a tooth this time, only found 2 days ago in my collection of Wealden bone bed. It's another velociraptorine tooth. I had to spend a few hours prepping this one out as only a few serrations were showing! I can't believe how this one has turned out, it's another beauty. Just look at those unworn perfect serrations.

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Troodon - on the claw. I agree with your analysis, it is more likely adult for the fact that I have found several of that are of similar size. I haven't heard of anyone else finding claws that size in the mainland Wealden.

18 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Thanks guys - Troodon, Jonwealden and PaleoNoal. I have another one for you, a tooth this time, only found 2 days ago in my collection of Wealden bone bed. It's another velociraptorine tooth. I had to spend a few hours prepping this one out as only a few serrations were showing! I can't believe how this one has turned out, it's another beauty. Just look at those unworn perfect serrations.

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

Wow, stunning! What a find. 

Thanks JohnBrewer, JWealden, PaleoNoel. Now I want to find another claw....or anything really....:). Darn. I wish I had taken a before photo of this one. Nevermind. 

The claw looks much more Ornithomimidae than Dromaeosaurid. I have a Dromaeosaurid I got from you from the same area that looks like the stereotypical morphology of a Dromaeosaurid

2FB59722-6DD4-4C6F-A1D7-3BE16F40737F.jpeg

It could also be Coelurosaur. Here’s mine from Portugal. Yours is missing the articulating end but the front matches fairly well. I used a filter to overlay the claws and this claw fit very well in the mid section of the claw. The top views are quite similar as well. 

BFE3FEA2-144F-4419-8A19-720645B3291B.jpeg

795BB6FB-2F38-4370-9C9E-604FD30B239F.jpeg

DA7011AC-16D2-4382-AC51-0C0F5386B64A.jpeg

6E5F251F-89A9-4284-9252-B4D590618FC5.jpeg

300063D2-0139-4898-9F4D-7A34A634FAFF.jpeg

711D77DD-558A-4300-8A83-BC93C5AB7C5F.jpeg

F16AF9B8-C46A-4EE3-A02A-0189BA7704E5.jpeg

40316C1E-6BDD-4541-84AD-E3AD7BA85302.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

• 4 weeks later...

TheClawGuy, Interesting analysis. I am leaning towards this claw being coelurosaur. Your finding is very compelling. Fascinating.

• 2 months later...

I just made another nice find. This is a really beautiful Dromaeosaurid hand claw. It's the best, most complete I have found so far. 

Hastings Beds

Weald Clay

Sussex

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

• I found this Informative 8