Small velociraptorine Nuthetes hand/foot claw

Birdman

• 2 weeks later...

Another great find from an old box of fossils I had stored over years! This time a very nice piece of armoured dino skull. Notice there are numerous blood vessel holes. Degree of underside curvature noticeable. Consists of thick fused bony nodules. 

Interesting anatomical comparison with Pachycephalosaur dinosaur skull. 

qq11.png.376dbe61cce07f0d4d2231d84cf0f078.png

IMG_5705.thumb.jpg.35bdd7114ef75bf488483d1934f81a13.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

A very interesting piece, the fused bone nodules along with the sinuous surface texture appear well evidenced from those pic's.  Look forward to seeing it first hand

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

• 2 weeks later...

News of my latest magical bonebed finds, it's another one of those small ankylosaur teeth! I think it's a beauty. It's a whole tooth complete with root.

IMG_5838a.jpg.35e774cf0ecc675faff8222aa67e92b1.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg.262fdc5816c659f1f08723e03852a347.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg.eb88fb0c39ffe6304716e6aa01066229.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg.726ac1faceda225053ff2e91b1109d92.jpg

Interesting to compare it with the other complete one I found. The new one seems to have a much more 'stretched'/longer crown which I think is interesting.

IMG_2133yy.jpg.719b3d8e64aabceecba59b437c3a81c9.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg.ce48b69082329e7c03cac9a034ad5639.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

A great find Birdman !  Lovely Anky tooth

Amazing Wealden finds - keep 'em coming!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

great finds! some gorgeous wee specimens there. can't wait to see what you find next

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Roostarr. You don't have to wait long! Here are some of my new finds including a small Baryonyx tooth preserved right next to a flying reptile tooth! 

Polyacrodus brevistatus tooth

IMG_5994.jpg.9c1ef20cbc383b34429e41df292db3f3.jpg

IMG_5999.jpg.68b6467f3458ba88fce6a6c782e93c89.jpg

Baryonyx tooth next to pterosaur tooth!

IMG_6025.thumb.jpg.153d5902d09b8a65764cd98c49bcc698.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Congratulations very nice assemblage but not convinced it's a Baryonyx tooth.

Denticles of Baryonyx resemble those in the photo not typical of other theropods.  In addition the enamel is unlike other theropods and described has “finely granular" not shiny.  Shape gives me a Croc look.   Anyway my opinion. 

20190813_090533.jpg.ceb2deccf8c97e782c31042f0c2db378.jpg

Thanks for your comments TyBoy. I should point out that I especially made the light intense as to show up the fine detail as the denticles as they are microscopic, incredibly tiny. You may not be able to tell in the pics but look closely you will notice that the tooth is actually recurved, and the tooth is laterally compressed not conical like croc, more typical theropod. Evidence from finds indicate that we could be dealing with an early Baryonychid, so we need to take this into account as teeth from this age (135 MYA) are not going to be identical to the type species. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Update: regarding the other tooth sitting next to the Baryonyx tooth, could be sauropod, in fact I'm confident it is sauropod. It bears close similarity to diplodocid and some apatosaurus teeth.

Imagine how many fossils of this size get missed because people dont think to look that small, amazing finds

Great comment Peystone! Yours is such an important point. I spend so long searching, looking at thousands of fossils and trying to identify each one magnifying lens handy! It's not easy. It can be a strain on the eyes and muscle aches are not uncommon. So it's nice when fellow collectors like yourself appreciate all the effort it takes to find the smaller material. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.2.2019 at 1:27 PM, Birdman said:

I found this lovely velociraptorine claw while searching my Wealden bone bed collection. I enjoyed taking these photos, they are some of the most striking images I have taken of a fossil I think.

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4388a.jpg

IMG_4374a.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

Nuthetes might actually be a Proceratosaurid, more so I doubt that this is Dinosaurian at all, much Wealden Claw Material assigned to Theropods often turns out to be from a Turtle too, of course there is a possibility, but I find it rather unlikely in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, Sassy PaleoNerd said:

Nuthetes might actually be a Proceratosaurid, more so I doubt that this is Dinosaurian at all, much Wealden Claw Material assigned to Theropods often turns out to be from a Turtle too, of course there is a possibility, but I find it rather unlikely in comparison.

Re your Nuthetes may be proceratosaurid, Wiki?

Could you provide examples of turtle claws that compare with the posted material ? Better to illustrate your point than word it off with dismissal. Thanks

8 hours ago, Jonwealden said:

Re your Nuthetes may be proceratosaurid, Wiki?

Could you provide examples of turtle claws that compare with the posted material ? Better to illustrate your point than word it off with dismissal. Thanks

Not the best, but it illustrates the point.

Nuthetes being a proceratosaur comes from a large Phylogenetic analysis, either Mortimer or Cau iirc, which identified it as said

20190912_070105.jpg

That does not compare.  And turtle claws i've seen are laterally wider and more rounded off than Theropod, for a start.

Especially due to the early age it seems, according to studies,  caution should be given with those isolated teeth. All the same, interesting either way.

https://wikimili.com/en/Nuthetes

''Steve Sweetman examined five good specimens of fossil teeth and confirmed that they belong to Nuthetes destructor, and concluded that this species is a velociraptorine dromaeosaurid. If this placement is correct, it would have been one of the oldest dromaeosaurids known, the first to be described, and the first known from Britain. [9] However, Rauhut, Milner and Moore-Fay (2010) pointed out the great similarity of the teeth of basaltyrannosauroid Proceratosaurus to the teeth of velociraptorine dromaeosaurids. The authors recommended caution when referring isolated teeth from the Late Jurassic or Early Cretaceous to the Dromaeosauridae (explicitly citing Milner's 2002 study and Sweetman's 2004 study as examples of studies that identified isolated theropod teeth as belonging to dromaeosaurids), as these teeth might belong to proceratosaurid tyrannosauroids instead.''

There's a partial lower dentary as well attributed to Nuthetes.

Sassy PaleoNerd: Re. the turtle ungual photo you posted: It doesn't really compare. No overhead view of the claw? It looks broad, not blade-like matching small coelurosaur ungual I found (above). Hey, as it happens, I have discovered turtle claws from the Wealden - Hastings Beds. The one below, another one of mine which I found is a good match, it's nothing like the coelurosaurid claw I found, which is pretty definitive, that you highlighted in your original post above. Hope this helps.

turtle001.thumb.jpg.a7653255680092a08412f6ba735d66e5.jpg