Any thought on what this is?

pawprints

Hi All, looking for ideas again!  I came across this piece in the collection that was left to me and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be?  Probably found in Cretaceous Alberta in Dinosaur Provincial Park.  I was going to guess corporlite, but I really have no idea!  All thoughts greatly appreciated!!!

1.jpg.8e1fcb5cea151755d904051f6dfe310c.jpg

2.jpg.f2a9cb0896c48a05341cbdc7ab1d6417.jpg

3.jpg.0ecf99fc11812f83855791e8128c7667.jpg

Looks like a cluster of corals.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

If I were to see it around my first thought would be a big blob of mud dauber, mud wasp, dirt dauber nest.....do insect mud nests fossilize I wonder?. Well thats what it looks like anyway not saying that is what it is though but its interesting.

I agree with the coral colony suggestion.  It's hard to be sure though, maybe wetting would bring out more of the details.  If it is a coral, it certainly won't be from Dinosaur Provincial Park.  It looks to be Paleozoic and possibly a Lithostrontionella, which occurs in the Mississippian Rundle and Banff Formations.  

Don

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, hndmarshall said:

If I were to see it around my first thought would be a big blob of mud dauber, mud wasp, dirt dauber nest.....do insect mud nests fossilize I wonder?. Well thats what it looks like anyway not saying that is what it is though but its interesting.

Great idea!

17 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I agree with the coral colony suggestion.  It's hard to be sure though, maybe wetting would bring out more of the details.  If it is a coral, it certainly won't be from Dinosaur Provincial Park.  It looks to be Paleozoic and possibly a Lithostrontionella, which occurs in the Mississippian Rundle and Banff Formations.  

Don

Oooh yes!! I see it now!!! Thanks so very much!  I though it was DPP, but she (my relative that left me her collection) could have traveled to Banff for sure!

1 minute ago, hndmarshall said:

I did find this type of coral that is very similar to what you have.....

coral.JPG

Yes! I am leaning towards this idea very much!

I'm in the coral camp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

By the way Sando (1983) [link] revised the North American species of Lithostrontionella, and all have been reassigned to other genera, and many synonymized with previously described species.  In particular, Lithostrontionella jasperensis (from the Banff  and Jasper Formations) has been synonymized with Stelechophyllum microstylum (White).  

The fossil is not a Coenites, as that genus has small corallites all over the branches.  However Coenites is a good illustration of a branching coral.  

Don