Do therapod claws get rarer after the size gets under a certain limit?

Pterygotus

A while back, a friend told me that therapod claws get rarer after the size passes under a certain limitation. Is this true or only for certain species?

• I found this Informative 1

It's a ridiculous comment.  Theropod claws are all rare it's more about species and quality.   Having said that  juvie or baby size material is extremely rare

• I found this Informative 4

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It's a ridiculous comment.  Theropod claws are all rare it's more about species and quality.   Having said that  juvie or baby size material is extremely rare

There's no need to be rude. They may not be aware of that. People have different levels of knowledge on fossils so to call a question ridiculous is unfair. 

Also the question is a fair one and I would say it's true to a certain extent. 7 inch Meg teeth are much rarer than 3 inch ones.

Just now, Troodon said:

Not being rude just making a statement of fact @Mikefossil.  

You didn't need to add that it was a ridiculous comment. Nothing wrong with adding your opinion but no need for the first bit. Fossil prices are not governed by fact either, there's no set price. A fossil is worth what a collector wants to pay and a seller can list it for what they think it's worth. 

Just now, Kane said:

Let's keep it polite and focused on the initial topic. ;) 

100% agree, just pointing out that there are younger members on here (some family members) and it's important to not make them feel "ridiculous" for asking a question :)

To clear up some confusion, Troodon was not referring to the question as ridiculous; it was a reference to the 'friend's' statement.  The question was honest and answered without inference.  

Polite discourse is highly valued at TFF and appreciated by members, new and old.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

To clear up some confusion, Troodon was not referring to the question as ridiculous; it was a reference to the 'friend's' statement.  The question was honest and answered without inference.  

Polite discourse is highly valued at TFF and appreciated by members, new and old.  ;)

Yes and I was also polite in my response. Have a nice evening :)

1 minute ago, Mikefossil said:

Yes and I was also polite in my response. Have a nice evening :)

Indeed, and much appreciated!

Welcome to TFF.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, Mikefossil said:

100% agree, just pointing out that there are younger members on here (some family members) 

We like to be informed when younger members sign up. By law, anyone under 13 years old need to have a COPPA form filled out and signed by the parents. 

Teens below 18 are usually given the designation YOUTH MEMBER, so that people will know they are dealing with younger members. 

We have no other way of knowing the ages of our members, unless they inform us.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

18 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

We like to be informed when younger members sign up. By law, anyone under 13 years old need to have a COPPA form filled out and signed by the parents. 

Teens below 18 are usually given the designation YOUTH MEMBER, so that people will know they are dealing with younger members. 

We have no other way of knowing the ages of our members, unless they inform us.  :unsure: 

Haha I don't understand why all the admins are coming at me, I was just pointing out the comment sounded a little sharp. I've done nothing wrong. I've been on this forum (not as a member) for months and I see it quite a bit. A few people on here have been to a couple of shows, read some papers and book and think they're palaeontologist. I'm just pointing out that not everyone is at the level of other members, so it's important to bare this in mind when replying, I don't think that's an unfair statement :)

21 minutes ago, Mikefossil said:

Haha I don't understand why all the admins are coming at me, I was just pointing out the comment sounded a little sharp. I've done nothing wrong. I've been on this forum (not as a member) for months and I see it quite a bit. A few people on here have been to a couple of shows, read some papers and book and think they're palaeontologist. I'm just pointing out that not everyone is at the level of other members, so it's important to bare this in mind when replying, I don't think that's an unfair statement :)

No one is "coming at you".  I apologize if it appears that way. That is not my intent at all. 

I was hoping to get maybe some insight as to the age of the OP

We like to be able to distinguish the younger members, as a reminder to older members to have patience, and be kind. ;) 

You have done absolutely nothing wrong. No one here is saying that you have.   

I agree, we have to be more mindful of tone and expression in dealing with all of our members, but especially so to the young. :)  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

No one is "coming at you".  I apologize if it appears that way. That is not my intent at all. 

I was hoping to get maybe some insight as to the age of the OP

We like to be able to distinguish the younger members, as a reminder to older members to have patience, and be kind. ;) 

You have done absolutely nothing wrong. No one here is saying that you have.   

I agree, we have to be more mindful of tone and expression in dealing with all of our members, but especially so to the young. :)  

Thank you for clarifying that, I guess you admins are alright ;) firstly it's nice to meet you, I'm 41 but what I meant by younger people is recently I've been pushing this site, I've been looking on here for a few months but only signed up today, I tell many young fossil hunters I meet to check out this site. It's a great place to learn new things. Yes as mentioned I also have family members that are on here. My Nephew's are on here and they are aged 18 and 19. But my main point was most newbies I meet and I can imagine it's the same on here don't know much when first starting out. So it's key to be kind, emoji is a great idea :) Just want to say as well that the admins on this site really are great and I personally appreciate the hard work you've put into this site to make it what it is :)

Edited by Mikefossil