Trilobite question

digsrocks73

Bought this trilobite many yrs. ago  there was no info on it at all but the eyes were so great I had to have it, I am pretty sure its a Order Phacopida but that's as far as I have gone. Family, Genus and species have a dead end in my searching,  Not a super piece and am sure some it is missing some of the front of the cephalon which adds to the ID  but would like to display it with correct ID.  Any help would be appreciated.

Eldredgeops(Metacryphaeus)   venustus.JPG

Eldredgeia sp. from Bolivia? There are a couple of locations where these occur inside the country if I'm not mistaken. Try Eldredgeia venustus. Could you take a picture of the eyes ( lenses) please? 

• I found this Informative 2

54 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Eldredgeia sp. from Bolivia? There are a couple of locations where these occur inside the country if I'm not mistaken. Try Eldredgeia venustus. Could you take a picture of the eyes ( lenses) please? 

This is the best I could get with my Paleo era floppy disc camera. Your ID is helpful as I did find the following info that pretty much matches the trilobite. Eldredgeops, below.

Superfamily Phacopoidea 
Cephalon: generally with strongly divergent axial furrows (glabella greatly expanding anteriorly), anterior glabellar lobes fused into single anterior tri-composite lobe, frontal area generally lacking (obliterated by large glabella), eyes (when present) typically anterior; genal angle typically rounded, without genal spines (exceptions among Pterygometopidae), vincular furrow generally present. 
Thorax: variable, but often with rounded tips. 
Pygidium: typically micropygous (Phacopidae) to subisopygous (some Pterygometopidae), not spinose. 
Families: Phacopidae, Pterygometopidae 
Genera 
Phacopidae: Acernaspis (=Eskaspis; =Otadenus; =Murphycops), Acuticryphops, Adastocephalum, Afrops, Ainasuella, Altaesajania, Ananaspis, Angulophacops, Arduennops, Atopophacops, Babinops, Boeckops, Burtonops, Chotecops (=Cordapeltis), Cryphops (/Gortania/Microphthalmus), Cultrops, Denckmannites (/Denckmannia), Dianops, Dienstina, Drotops, Ductina, Echidnops, Echinophacops, Eldredgeops, 

• I found this Informative 1

Can we get a picture showing the pygidium  (Tail shield)?

I agree it looks like it could be Eldredgia venustus from Bolivia. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, digsrocks73 said:

This is the best I could get with my Paleo era floppy disc camera. Your ID is helpful as I did find the following info that pretty much matches the trilobite. Eldredgeops, below.

I still think it's Eldredgeia venustus, since Eldredgeops is not from South-America.

Eldredgeops is in the Phacopidae and Eldredgeia is in the Calmoniidae.  The most notable difference are the glabellar lobes which are absent on Eldredgeops.  This example conforms with the diagnosis of E. venustus with up to 8-9 lenses per lens file.

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I believe there are segments missing from the end of the pygidium which don't help but the eyes were worth $2,00

Thanks for the help. I like my records of each trilobite to be complete as possible.

MVC-124S.JPG

So with the eye lens file count on this one at 8 and the glabellar lobes what would be the Family, Sub family and genus be.

And I thought Asaphus was confusing.

1 hour ago, piranha said:

up to 8-9 lenses per lens file

Can someone explain the meaning of this? I looked the eye over carefully in an attempt to answer my question but failed.

1 hour ago, digsrocks73 said:

So with the eye lens file count on this one at 8 and the glabellar lobes what would be the Family, Sub family and genus be.

One file also has 9 lenses.  Family Calmoniidae: Subfamily Calmoniinae: Eldredgeia venustus

Thank you so much. First time I have been stumped this bad. Now I need a Eldredgeops. One file with 9 lenses on this one, berth defect here I guess.

15 minutes ago, digsrocks73 said:

One file with 9 lenses on this one, berth defect here I guess.

There is nothing unusual, it fits the diagnosis perfectly: maximum up to 8-9 lenses per file.

"Bolivian Eldredgeia venustus (Wolfart, 1968) typically has 26-27 dorsoventral files on each eye with a maximum of eight to nine lenses/file."

Lieberman, B.S. 1993

Systematics and the biogeography of the "Metacryphaeus Group" Calmoniidae (Trilobita, Devonian), with comments on adaptive radiations and the geological history of the Malvinokaffric Realm. Journal of Paleontology, 67(4):549-570