Summerville/Charleston SC Help

Dfort92

Hey everyone. I’m new to this forum and pretty new to hunting anywhere other than the beach, but I’ve been venturing out to Summerville and a few creeks in the West Ashley area. I’ve found pretty much nothing except for a broken meg tooth in a well known creek in Summerville. I’m not asking for anyone’s specific hunting spot, but does anyone have some insight on other areas besides the Sawmill Branch creek?

Hi there and welcome,

Hopefully you have checked out Charleston Fossil Adventures ... they are a great organization and very informative.  Keeping my ear to the ground our members have been reporting that staying between the pier and the state park side has been the most productive for those heading to Folly beach. 

Of course with all of these the tides are important.  Low tide of course being the best time 'most' of the time.

The creeks can be tricky and I would say that for what it is worth .. the time and effort just scouting them .. maybe is not worth your time budget if you are looking for something to happen quickly.  I don't know how many hours I've hiked those muddy and sandy creeks to come up empty handed. Honestly, for what it's worth I would say one of the fastest way to get up to speed is to hire a knowledgeable guide.  I use fossil guides on occasion and it is a fast way to get the lay of the land and identify the formation and the 'look' of the fossil bearing strata/gravel etc...

Low Country fossil excursions is also a company working out of the area and they will put you on the fossils as well. They usually work the creeks.

Good Luck,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Low Country fossil excursions is also a company working out of the area and they will put you on the fossils as well. They usually work the creeks.

Ditto

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

Good luck.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png