Keichousaurus real or fake?

Hi all,

I recently purchased this Keichousaurus specimen off an online seller (not online) and wondered if it was genuine or not... the seller stated that there had been repair to the matrix (don’t know if that shows up in the attached images:|)

The seller also said there was no repairs, painting, carving etc and that the actual fossil was 100% genuine. 

Inspecting it with a loupe I could see the bone matter is raised from the matrix (slightly) and that there may be teeth present on the skull, but I don’t know if they’re painted on, as that is sometimes the case. 

C557EEAE-6C9E-4ED7-B840-503A6BDF33D5.thumb.jpeg.dbc82b7eafe4cbd53e5287f1a7630962.jpeg

Anyway I thought I’d come here to get it checked out as I’m not very experienced with fossils and fakes yet.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Jai.

We are going to need much better photos to help you with an answer.  Closer, better lit images and one of the back side.  Include head and limbs

• I found this Informative 1

I think this is a genuine specimen, but as usual quite badly acid prepped with most of the bones eroded away.  The slab was broken and glued back with a filled part.  I don't see obvious painted parts.  I think the tiny black patches around the skull are not teeth.  As @Troodon said, much better photos would help you get a more definite advice.

It is, I believe, a genuine fossil with no glaring monkey business. I also believe the large "white" crack may be a natural fracture with mineral infill. In clicking on your image to magnify it appears crystalline. With a 10X loupe you should be able to observe the "flat" quality of paint, if it exists, as opposed to the 3D nature of even small bones. The piece may be acid-prepped as Crazyhen opines; but it has also been wire-brushed with a rotary power tool. Magnification reveals the tell-tale scratch marks side by side. This treatment may also account for he overall flat appearance of the piece. That is, look at the robust limb bones. From what I can see they appear to have been ground relatively flat as the overlying matrix was obliterated. This is a common occurrence in these pieces given quick, low-tech preparation. It's a nice, representative piece. I would be proud to display it.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

The piece may be acid-prepped as Crazyhen opines; but it has also been wire-brushed with a rotary power tool. 

Yes, you are right.  It is a standard practice for the locals to use acid and then rotary wire-brush to prep the fossils, and therefore, most of the bones are ground off.

Yes, better photos needed - but my first impression is "original".

To check the degree of possible "enhancements" better close-up photos are needed...

Hi,

I have tried to take some better photos in the light. Hopefully these will be of help. If not just let me know:)

Thanks everyone for their opinions though it has been really helpful4710BAD9-2B48-4749-945C-9917CA4E8A21.thumb.jpeg.6f0b2b526ec2e34089c3085cd4e1cc60.jpeg

I agree with the others about the preparation. The bits and bobs around the skull are the eye sockets I think. I have add mine for a comparison. 

777B6C5C-01DB-468F-8B6C-5F5947AAD611.jpeg

983FF44E-F61A-46F2-8FFE-E3AB02CF8476.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Jai said:

Thanks Bobby, I’m not too knowledgeable on my vertebrate fossils just yet, so that really helps hehe :)

We like to help at the TFF:)

A better image of my specimen's skull. 

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

We like to help at the TFF:)

A better image of my specimen's skull. 

image.jpeg

Would photos like that be better to identify fakes from real ones? E.g. if I took a picture that close up would it help

2 hours ago, Jai said:

Would photos like that be better to identify fakes from real ones? E.g. if I took a picture that close up would it help

Probably it can’t do any harm but seems fine . Most of the keichousaurus  we have here are badly photographed so it is always a little to much guess work but we do our best. I may photograph mine in detail and do a post. It could help.

Well, photos showing three obvious details:

- one part has been glued (added "foreign" part or just glued the broken piece - difficult to tell..)

- one corner has been completely modeled (no orig material), seems that it's not the keich itself and just for the optics, but not 100% sure

- skeletton shows first signs of disintegration

No clue if something has been painted - photos are not close enough to tell for sure, but my first guess would be, that it's just bad prep and nothing painted....

• 1 month later...

It's real. The preparation is just a little rough, and some of the bones have been ground off. I think it is a nice specimen for your collection if the price is good. Here's an example of what a completely faked keichosaurus would look like. Most are real and just badly prepared. 

IMG_6945.JPG