Calling the pros for move advice.

joshuajbelanger

I will actually be moving out west in June/July,  I’m currently researching the areas. I’m calling on the experts to let me know which is the best move for fossils.  I’m a geology grad with a desire to pursue paleontology, so career opportunities must be kept in mind as well. The three cities we’ve narrowed down are Fort Collins CO, Flagstaff AZ, and Bend OR. Don’t worry, I will be bringing a plethora of Florida fossils with me, so, whoever gets to meet me will have plenty of gifts and goodies.  Just looking for some solid advice.

ps, sorry for being so absent on the forums lately; life has been a little cray!

• I found this Informative 2

I'd just like to vouch for Josh being a good guy as I've hunted with him a few times:D Good luck on the move although I think we have it pretty good down here!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

56 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

I'd just like to vouch for Josh being a good guy as I've hunted with him a few times:D Good luck on the move although I think we have it pretty good down here!

We should definitely get together before I leave, let’s make that happen!

Josh, a while back you mentioned to me your main focus/ interest was in invertebrate fossils. If that desire still stands, perhaps that may be a pivotal point in where you want to settle.

• I found this Informative 1

Are you looking to continue your education into a graduate school or are you looking to go into the private sector?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I agree... we need more info.  Why not WY, MT or SD...all among the best of paleostates?  Oh, wait... you're from FL, maybe these places have winter?  (It builds character, y'know). 

@caldigger I am literally interested in anything older than Pleistocene!  Vertebrates, invertebrates, plants, trace-anything!  I’m just tired of Columbian Mammoth(what a problem to have!)

@UtahFossilHunter My ultimate goal is to complete graduate school, but this may be a pipe dream and will be postponed as long as necessary.  I’m already in private sector-currently structural drilled shafts for the State of Florida.  I have tons of construction, industrial, and chemical experience but I would like to remain in a geological field if I can.

@jpc The short answer is that I’m married!  It’s a two way street, and I can’t move anywhere based on fossils alone.  I’m also originally from Louisiana, a dirty cajun.  That being said, I actually much prefer a blizzard over the swamp.  35 years in a swamp is plenty.

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

That being said, I actually much prefer a blizzard over the swamp.  35 years in a swamp is plenty.

But a long cold winter in the Dakota's may change that perspective! ;)

Hi Josh!

Why don't you talk to Jeff. We are going hunting again when I am in Florida Mar 18th thru 28th? Would like to see you  before you depart. The Ordovician of my area has not been high on the paleontology peck order  wrt research. It is begging you to study it!!! Winona State has a Geology/ Paleontology program and I believe Luther College in Decorah may too. Both easy access to fossil rich rock.

Mike

10 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hi Josh!

Why don't you talk to Jeff. We are going hunting again when I am in Florida Mar 18th thru 28th? Would like to see you  before you depart. The Ordovician of my area has not been high on the paleontology peck order  wrt research. It is begging you to study it!!! Winona State has a Geology/ Paleontology program and I believe Luther College in Decorah may too. Both easy access to fossil rich rock.

Mike

I’ll text Jeff about it, sounds like a plan! This season has been unusually wet, so I haven’t been able to do much hunting.  Also, I always loved me some Ordovician-just rolls off the tongue nicely!

Move to Texas. We have tons of fossils, no appreciable winter, great bbq, Fort Worth (a topic all on its own) and no swamps west of the pine curtain (aka east Texas). :D

20 hours ago, jpc said:

I agree... we need more info.  Why not WY, MT or SD...all among the best of paleostates?  Oh, wait... you're from FL, maybe these places have winter?  (It builds character, y'know). 

Absolutely what JP said.  And Wy is not far from Denver and Ft Collins. 

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

19 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

The short answer is that I’m married!  It’s a two way street, and I can’t move anywhere based on fossils alone.  I’m also originally from Louisiana, a dirty cajun.  That being said, I actually much prefer a blizzard over the swamp.  35 years in a swamp is plenty.

I hear ya!  I'm from La also....can't wait to get back out west.  You'll love all the winter sports :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury