Sebago Lake Maine

Fossil Claw

We will be doing any family vacation trip for couple weeks to Sebago Lake in Maine.

Are there any forum members that live near there if you give me any tips on locations and types of fossils that can be found Near Cumberland county?

I am introducing my kids to the fun of fossil hunting and would like to make that part of our vacation. We're planing to also stop at Penn Dixie in New York on the way up to Maine.

Thank you

Sounds like a fun trip. Not sure what the conditions would be that far north in only a couple of weeks. I'm at the other extent of this country's latitudinal range but I suspect it might be a bit chilly (and even snow covered) for a while longer. Best bet might be to see if any of the members closer to your route of travel have more informed thoughts: @Mediospirifer @Darktooth @Fossildude19

Cheers.

-Ken

9 minutes ago, digit said:

Sounds like a fun trip. Not sure what the conditions would be that far north in only a couple of weeks. I'm at the other extent of this country's latitudinal range but I suspect it might be a bit chilly (and even snow covered) for a while longer. Best bet might be to see if any of the members closer to your route of travel have more informed thoughts: @Mediospirifer @Darktooth @Fossildude19

Cheers.

-Ken

We are going for a couple weeks not in a couple weeks.

Trip will be sometime over the summer.

Thanks

Dom,

This website shows some possibilities in Cumberland County. 

Looks like Pleistocene bivalves and gastropods, mostly. 

You'd have to do some research to see if any of the sites mentioned are still viable. 

Good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

We are going for a couple weeks not in a couple weeks.

Trip will be sometime over the summer.

Ah, my mistake--you'd think as a part-time copy editor that I'd read better than this. :P

Penn Dixie was good fun and, though you can do this yourself while passing through the area, it pays to see if you can arrange a date to go out with other TFF members as local knowledge increases your chances of finding something nice and it is a great way to meet other members without using a keyboard. I'd drop a posting here when you have are closer to the date and have an idea of when you'll be hunting there.

Cheers.

-Ken

If you would like to try any sites in central NY. Let me know.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I will tell you that Sebago, Lake in Maine has some of the best Migmatites you will find anywhere around!! These partially melted rocks are a result of their proximity to a granite pluton formed under a continental collision.  Smashed between 2 continents that formed Pangea, the Sebago Lake area records some of the deepest parts of the these ancient mountains. There is a lot of debate and disagreement about Migmatites and especially what some of the structural geology shows......Shear!!! Asymmetrical structures (folded veins, mineral fish) can be found in the rocks everywhere indicating the deepest stresses on the mountain ranges has elements of shear. Oddly this data is ignored by groups of geologists with theories and models that won’t work with this data. So they ignore it and even hold contempt towards the study of shear zones.....Host rocks usually look like grey schists and grey slates surrounded my granite channels and flows. My old structural geology teacher did loads of research on the Sebago pluton around Sebago Lake and sent many of my classmates on research trips to record structure data.  Look for outcrops that look like swirled ice cream and you have Migmatites.......not fossils....but still amazing. Sillimanite is all over these rocks too which only show up in the hottest and deepest rocks. Anyway.....if you get bored of fossils go grab some partially melted rocks :) 

Al

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

If you would like to try any sites in central NY. Let me know.

Yes please.  All depends in how many detours my family will put up with on the drive from Cincinnati to Maine.

13 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

Yes please.  All depends in how many detours my family will out up with on the drive from Cincinnati to Maine.

Contact  me anytime and we can discuss it. Most sites are kid friendly and plenty of finds to keep everyone Happy. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

If you want to have a group outing, let me know! Mr. Spirifer and I are usually up for something, if we don't have prior plans. Penn-Dixie is always fun.

Al Tahan, that sound like some fascinating geology! Mr. Spirifer and I might have to stop for a look next time we're in Maine. :D

22 hours ago, Mediospirifer said:

If you want to have a group outing, let me know! Mr. Spirifer and I are usually up for something, if we don't have prior plans. Penn-Dixie is always fun.

Al Tahan, that sound like some fascinating geology! Mr. Spirifer and I might have to stop for a look next time we're in Maine. :D

Out of all the rocks and rock types out there ....outside of fossils...Migmatites are My favorite